not able to boot after install

norebonomis

4 posts in this topic

need a little help here...

using 10.4.6 patched dvd. install goes smooth, very fast too!

after install darwin does not load, just get a blinking cursor.

when booting back into the installer and choosing the startup disk utility it does not recognize mac os x installed on my hard drive... it only gives the dvd as a startup disk option...

im using a SATA hard drive does this make a big difference?

here are some relevant-looking entries from the installer log:

partition map is not MBR\n

can't set active boot partition as /devdisk2s3\n

startup disk [100] error setting the startup disk.\n

I believe that you need to have the partition map type set up MBR. By default, the installer uses GUID when partitioning. When you go to the Disk Utility, there should be an Options button in the Partitions tab that allows you to choose the partition map type (I think... I don't have the installer in front of me at the moment).

EDIT: Utilities > Disk Utility ; Select your hard drive from the list ; Click the Partition tab ; There is an Options button near the bottom of the window ; Select Master Boot Record ; Select OK ; Click Partition.

At the bottom of the window is should say: "Partition Scheme : Master Boot Record"

thanks for the reply, but there is no options button on the partition tab. i've used a gparted live cd to put a boot flag on the disk, now darwin loads, but it just scrolls a bunch of extenstions loading very fast, then reboots, i can get a boot: prompt... is there anything i can do here?

here is a video of the horror: youtube link