About this Mac

denismurphy1

15 posts in this topic

hi guys, great web site.... been using it for few weeks now, i just got leopard installed on my Dell today thank to this site guide....

just one tiny little problem, when i try to use "About this Mac" finder crash's, and system profiler also broken, everything else is perfect

i know there probably a patch out there or i need to replace some kext... so if someone came across this problem before in 10.5, any help be fantastic

thx

• 3 weeks later...
hi guys, great web site.... been using it for few weeks now, i just got leopard installed on my Dell today thank to this site guide....

just one tiny little problem, when i try to use "About this Mac" finder crash's, and system profiler also broken, everything else is perfect

i know there probably a patch out there or i need to replace some kext... so if someone came across this problem before in 10.5, any help be fantastic

thx

I am having the same problem, have you mannaged to figure out a way of fixing the 'abouth this mac' popup yet?

sounds like you might be having a problem with the AppleSMBIOS.kext. You might want to try to reinstall it and check permissions

Yeah sounds like it to me too - is this a generated ktext or is it standard accross systems? If its standard I may duplicate it from one of the macs from work :D hopefully this may sort it.

May I sugest buying a real mac. :P

I aggree whole hartedly - and I will be purcahsing one after christmas (money permitting) at some point - but untill then I like to tinker :blink::(;)

You cannot use a stock smbios kext from apple. It needs to be modded. If you are using the pc-wfi patch, that kext file should be included. Just install it, fix permissions, clear kext and reboot. If you cannot use the pc-efi patch, then look for the brazilmac patch as he also includes a patched smbios kext.

Im have the same problem here with "About this Mac", everytime I click into it I get a blue screen then back to the desktop. Ive updated 10.5 to 10.5.1 without using Efi by using the script that Kingroach had made in a seperate post. My specs are in my sig. Everything else works fine sound, networking, graphics without QE or CI at the moment but this seems to be a real pain at the moment. I tried searching everywhere without success. Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Hi.

i'm having the same problem, but i've got this when i installed the smbios.kext files that came with the torrent of CS3. I gets the blue screen like you and i have no ideia how to fix it. Can someone help me please? I bought some extra memory and i must see if they're working fine in "ABOUT THIS MAC".

Thanks in advance.

Kaly Leo + Kaly update

Compaq C500