creating a HFS+ partition from XP?

hotmonkeayc

25 posts in this topic

I think you can only make HFS+ patitions from within OSX. Boot an install DVD (Jas 10.4.8 or so) and use the Disk Utility to make a HFS+ partition.

I assume you have experience installing Tiger on your PC? If not, I would advise to first play around w. Tiger pior to to switching on the bigger cat...

Hey Nuifrkns,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, no I've never had experience installing Tiger on my PC. I'm assuming that'd be a good starting point. Do you happen to have any links to point me in the right direction? I have the retail Tiger DVD, do you have any links to guides that will assist me? Thanks again!

You can also use any Windows/Dos based partitioning tool to create a FAT32 partition, then boot from your Hackintosh Install DVD and use it's disk utility to reformat that FAT32 partition into HFS+. After the DVD boots up you're presented with a choice of language to use. After your language selection, you get to the Welcome window. From the Menu Bar, select Utilities -> Disk Utility. When you quit the disk utility, you're taken back to the installer program.

Hotmonk,If I were you, I would read up the OSX86 Wiki, put your retail DVD on a shelf (it will just help your karma, not the install), get the Jas 10.4.8. (the longest around->the most known about) and install that on a dedicated PATA HD (no dual boot, just plain OSX...)Good luck!

Zoomie,Doesn't make sense to do the upfront formatting. Just boot the Jas 0.4.8 DVD and do all your partitioning, formatting from there using the Disk Utility. Much less of a hassle... This is mentioned as a standard methods on sooo many threads...

You can set the partition's type to HFS+ using Disk Suite on XP. But you won't see it in the list so you need to select ShagOS swap as the partition type, its hex code is 0xAF. Once you set, in Mac OS X that partition will be recognized as HFS+, then you'll be able to format and install.

Hotmonk,If I were you, I would read up the OSX86 Wiki, put your retail DVD on a shelf (it will just help your karma, not the install), get the Jas 10.4.8. (the longest around->the most known about) and install that on a dedicated PATA HD (no dual boot, just plain OSX...)Good luck!

Zoomie,Doesn't make sense to do the upfront formatting. Just boot the Jas 0.4.8 DVD and do all your partitioning, formatting from there using the Disk Utility. Much less of a hassle... This is mentioned as a standard methods on sooo many threads...

Since he's trying to partition from within XP, we can assume he WANTS to dual boot his system (for whatever reason) and that he has already partitioned it. Using my suggestion does indeed make sense in this situation. I agree that having a HD dedicated to one OS is more desirable, but he may have a legitimate reason for dual booting.

Also, by using strictly the OSX disk utility to partition a drive, you need to warn newbs to partition the drive as MBR and not as GUID...hackintoshes won't boot with a GUID partition scheme.

@zoomie see my thread
Please explain more of what you did...your posts are pretty vague and I don't know who you were replying to.

Let me make an assumption....You tried to use Parted Magic to partition your drive. And I'll further assume Parted Magic created an HFS+ partition, but didn't format it. So you need to boot from a hackintosh DVD and use the disk utility to select that HFS+ partition and "erase" it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When you quit the disk utility, the newly formatted drive should show up in the installer.

Since he's trying to partition from within XP, we can assume he WANTS to dual boot his system (for whatever reason) and that he has already partitioned it. Using my suggestion does indeed make sense in this situation. I agree that having a HD dedicated to one OS is more desirable, but he may have a legitimate reason for dual booting.Also, by using strictly the OSX disk utility to partition a drive, you need to warn newbs to partition the drive as MBR and not as GUID...hackintoshes won't boot with a GUID partition scheme.

zoomie,

You're right, I still need XP for other reasons (apps/games that will ONLY work on Windows). As it stands now, I reformatted my drive and have a clean version of XP Pro on it. So, from my understanding, I should now create a new partition (FAT32) on the drive (maybe 100g). I was planning on using Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director. I guess I'm confused my most of the install guides as they assume you've already got Tiger installed. While I have no problem installing Tiger if need be, I'd rather just install Leopard (since that's what I want to use anyways). So if I've got this correct I should be able to:

-Install XP Pro

-Create a FAT32 Partition

-Boot with Patched Leopard DVD and choose the newly created partition

-Let the DVD format it as HFS

Is this correct? Thanks again for all of the help/suggestions!

sorry, this may be off topic but I am running:

-nforce 680i SE sli mobo

-geforce 8800GTS 320MB

-250 GB HDD SATA

-E6600 intel core 2 duo

used the mac.nub image, but can't format the disc with diskutility. When I format it with something else (I've tried norton, acronis, gparted,partedmagic and powerquest) it won't see it. I can start up diskutility but it hangs when I go to format the disk. It seems to not be mounting or something. Jas kernels won't boot. any help appreciated

zoomie,You're right, I still need XP for other reasons (apps/games that will ONLY work on Windows). As it stands now, I reformatted my drive and have a clean version of XP Pro on it. So, from my understanding, I should now create a new partition (FAT32) on the drive (maybe 100g). I was planning on using Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director. I guess I'm confused my most of the install guides as they assume you've already got Tiger installed. While I have no problem installing Tiger if need be, I'd rather just install Leopard (since that's what I want to use anyways). So if I've got this correct I should be able to:-Install XP Pro-Create a FAT32 Partition-Boot with Patched Leopard DVD and choose the newly created partition-Let the DVD format it as HFSIs this correct? Thanks again for all of the help/suggestions!
Essentially, that's correct...with a couple caveats. Lets assume you don't have XP installed yet. If so, you might as well partition the drive with partition magic or acronis..do both the XP and FAT32 partitions at the same time..then install XP.

The other thing you need to take into consideration is a boot loader. That is a bit of code that is inserted in the boot sector of your hard drive that should give you a boot menu so you can choose to boot from XP or OSX. I won't really get into that and you'll have to research it yourself because there are several methods you could use, and I only know how to do it the geeky Linux way. I use Grub, which is the default boot loader with most distros...and I install Grub in the most geeky way possible...via the command line.

sorry, this may be off topic but I am running:-nforce 680i SE sli mobo-geforce 8800GTS 320MB-250 GB HDD SATA-E6600 intel core 2 duoused the mac.nub image, but can't format the disc with diskutility. When I format it with something else (I've tried norton, acronis, gparted,partedmagic and powerquest) it won't see it. I can start up diskutility but it hangs when I go to format the disk. It seems to not be mounting or something. Jas kernels won't boot. any help appreciated
Reepr, I'm sorry I can't really address your issue. I can't explain why disk utility doesn't show your drive...sounds like a hardware problem. Or maybe a corrupted install DVD. I'm not familiar with the mac.nub thingy of which you speak.

Essentially, that's correct...with a couple caveats. Lets assume you don't have XP installed yet. If so, you might as well partition the drive with partition magic or acronis..do both the XP and FAT32 partitions at the same time..then install XP.

Zoomie,

Yeah, I may end up going this route. One question though. How could I use partition magic or acronis if I didn't have an OS installed? Do they make a bootable disc?

Basically what it comes down to is, I already have the Leopard Image (Patched from my Retail DVD) and I don't really want to risk the downloading of the Tiger image. Plus, it seems silly to go through the work of installing Tiger if I'm untimately going to use Leopard anyways. :)

sorry, this may be off topic but I am running:

-nforce 680i SE sli mobo

-geforce 8800GTS 320MB

-250 GB HDD SATA

-E6600 intel core 2 duo

used the mac.nub image, but can't format the disc with diskutility. When I format it with something else (I've tried norton, acronis, gparted,partedmagic and powerquest) it won't see it. I can start up diskutility but it hangs when I go to format the disk. It seems to not be mounting or something. Jas kernels won't boot. any help appreciated

Same exact thing is happening to me, but i have a 650i mobo

Zoomie,

Yeah, I may end up going this route. One question though. How could I use partition magic or acronis if I didn't have an OS installed? Do they make a bootable disc?

Basically what it comes down to is, I already have the Leopard Image (Patched from my Retail DVD) and I don't really want to risk the downloading of the Tiger image. Plus, it seems silly to go through the work of installing Tiger if I'm untimately going to use Leopard anyways. :)

Yes, both acronis and partition magic have bootable CD's. Also, you could download the parted magic ISO...that ISO is a Linux based Live CD, but you'd need a working system (Windows, Mac or Linux..it doesn't matter) to burn that ISO to CD.

Download Parted Magic from here

It shows the drive, but it seems like the script to format it was deleted. The disc's good (MD5 Checked)

Reepr, I wish I could help you...but I'm not sure what else I can say. Maybe you can try using another version of a hackintosh installer DVD to format your partitions. I've had good luck with the JaS installers and the Uphuck 10.4.9 installer was pretty good.

So I took your advice and decided to try to get Tiger working first. Well, I did my research and found that there's only a couple versions that will work with my Dell (E520). So I got the image and according to the instructions I needed to modify the ISO and change the Extensions....so I did, but now the original image is not bootable. Does anyone know anything about this? You can see what I mean by checking out this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=491269

...and I basically heard that my Dell only reads that ISO by reading this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry475981