PS3 and OSX. The bootloader.

A Human

15 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As far as I know, MoL doesn't work on G5 PPCs (the PS3 PPE/360 CPU cores are essentially instruction-set compatible with G5s, though they lack instruction scheduler hardware and are thus painfully slow clock-for-clock vs a 'real' G5 for unoptimised, generalised code.)

Perhaps it would be possible to 'fix' MoL, though performance would suck with only 256MB of RAM available for the host and guest OSes combined. A direct boot is in theory possible, but you'd have to write drivers for all the hypervisor emulated hardware even if you could get round bootloader issues.

The other option is PearPC, but I don't know if it acts as only a virtualiser when running on PPC or if it retains it's PPC emulation code. Either way, it would suffer from the same caveats as MoL.

And FWIW, I think the 360 would make a better target platform. You're not going to get accelerated graphics on either unless you write a driver from the ground up, but a 'violated' 360 has the benefits of 3x the useful processing power and 512MB of usable system RAM...

As far as I know, MoL doesn't work on G5 PPCs (the PS3 PPE/360 CPU cores are essentially instruction-set compatible with G5s, though they lack instruction scheduler hardware and are thus painfully slow clock-for-clock vs a 'real' G5 for unoptimised, generalised code.)

Perhaps it would be possible to 'fix' MoL, though performance would suck with only 256MB of RAM available for the host and guest OSes combined. A direct boot is in theory possible, but you'd have to write drivers for all the hypervisor emulated hardware even if you could get round bootloader issues.

The other option is PearPC, but I don't know if it acts as only a virtualiser when running on PPC or if it retains it's PPC emulation code. Either way, it would suffer from the same caveats as MoL.

And FWIW, I think the 360 would make a better target platform. You're not going to get accelerated graphics on either unless you write a driver from the ground up, but a 'violated' 360 has the benefits of 3x the useful processing power and 512MB of usable system RAM...

Very well said. Anyway a HackBox 360 sounds cooler than a Hackinstation 3 :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
Lol, only if you like incredibly poorly designed consoles :D Maybe I'll go overheat somewhere for a while...

I'm a fan of both... but you want to talk about poor design? Lets talk about the CELL processor. It's a pain in the ass to code for that thing...

Lol, only if you like incredibly poorly designed consoles :blink: Maybe I'll go overheat somewhere for a while...

Dude, I'm going to buy a PS3. It's just that the 360 would probably be more suitable to do OSX than the PS3... :rolleyes:

It's a pain in the ass to code for that thing...

You tried?

Anyway...

I'm a fan of both
Anyway a HackBox 360 sounds cooler than a Hackinstation 3
Maybe I'll go overheat somewhere for a while

...it is late.

• 2 months later...
what about xbox360

it is techinally possible to boot mac off it....

i could see a lot of work getting it done tho...

darwin emulator being built into XeLL with suports for HFS+ and the mach_kernel (currently XeLL only supports a limited kernel set)

Not to mention the work that would go into getting the console to work.

The ATI Framebuffer is a mess under linux, altho its more likely to be able to get it to work under mac now that i have seen radeondump (which would need to be built in to the driver as it needs XCode from the NAND to Initialise.

it would be a lot of work... but is strangely tempting (once i figure out my hackbook problems)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...