Will only boot once.

theharlotfelon

9 posts in this topic

System specs: Intel 945PM chipset, Intel Duo 2.2 Ghz (sse3 compatible), ATI 7950 512MB, 160 GB Hitachi HDD (7200 RPM) SATA.

I installed Leopard from a leopard flat image file by partitioning my disk 0 and then running the dd command from the command prompt in Windows Vista. No problems here. I then set the disk to active in the command prompt and then restart.

From here, the darwin bootloader will start and bring up the grey apple screen. It then goes to a black screen with just the mouse as a pinwheel. It stays like this forever and nothing happens. Hmm, so then I restart the computer and mash down on the F8 button so that I can boot in safe mode (-x). To my amazement this works and I'm able to put in my information and then play around in Leopard. So then I'm messing with some installation and have to restart. No problem right? Wrong. After I log in ONCE I can no longer log in again. If I let Leopard boot normally, it goes to the grey apple screen and then reboots. If I run it in safe mode it reboots. If I run it in with the -v command it has an error and displays "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" for an infinite amount of time. This also happens if I run in in with the -s command.

So what do I do? Lets try installing again! I run through the same process. Which consists of creating a primary partition with the id=af. (Healthy yet unknown is what diskpart tells me) I then in the command prompt use:

C:\>dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress

to copy the disk image to the partition. Not the best method but the only one even close to working for me. After I set the partition as active, I then restart and watch as it does not load and hangs after the grey screen with a black screen and some happy pinwheel action. As nice as this is and slightly fun to watch I then decide to restart and run in safe mode. Shazamm!!! I put in my information and marvel at all the devices waiting to me installed and then cry as I know I will have to restart. So I do and then the same problem happens.

So far I am only able to initially login with safe mode into Leopard ONCE and after that it rolls around on the floor making a scene at the grocery store about how it didn't get an HPET...

Any suggestions?

I installed the "flat image" also - and had the same problem with locking up on the second boot. The thing I did wrong was to try to install an old ATI driver for my X300 and got an error.

I just re-installed and everything has been ok since. Of course I have to look at 1024x768 on a 19" widescreen until someone comes up with a driver and it's fuzzy.

Sony VGC-RB44G

So here's whats going on now. I went and deleted:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleIntelcpupowermanagment.kext

IOPCCardFamily.kext

I have then tried the following commands for the bootloader: -f, -s, cpus=1, -x, -v.

With and without these commands, the system now boots to the grey apple screen and then just sits there forever. The spinning thing never stops.

Anything else I can try?

Sorry for the double post, but here's a small update. Not sure if this actually effected anything since it was hanging on boot anyway, but I disabled multiple cores in bios and usb support. Now when I run in -v, it shows this:

npvhash=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct ( 21:35:55 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 510629 free pages and 13659 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;

use only one stlyle

ACPI CA 20060421

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicID=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=1 Disabled

Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall

Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt

calling mpo_policy_init for mb

Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet

calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Security policy Loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)

Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1991, 1993

The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

This is where it halts.

This error:

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Came up in 10.4.9 installations and you had to install the AppleACPIManagement.kext from 10.4.8 to fix the problem. Maybe its the same for Leopard. If you have a standalone copy of the 10.4.8 AppleACPIManagement file, use MacDrive to replace the original with the 10.4.8 version. If you don't have a copy of the file, get a Uphuck 10.4.9 DVD. Boot from the DVD and you can choose to install 10.4.8 AppleACPIManagement.

Sorry its the best I know how to explain it

pcwiz