Leopard installation (my experience)

VacTacks11

5 posts in this topic

Hey folks.

I thought I'd share my experience in installing Leopard - it may help you with your own.

First my specs:

Intel D975XBX

Core 2 Duo 6400

2GB 667 RAM

GeForce 7900 GS OC

2 x 250GB SATA drives

D-Link DIR-655 Wireless-N

I, like many of you, waited impatiently to download the BrazilMac 4.7GB image from (well, you know where it's from) over the weekend. When the DVD finally burned I tried in vain to get Leopard installed but I just could get it to install. I figured it must have been a problem with the DVD so I re-downloaded it and burned it at 2x - no go. During the initial stages of the install (before the apple logo) I kept getting these cryptic messages that pinned my HD light and caused my DVD light to flicker on and off for an hour solid.

Finally fed up I pressed the Esc key which brought me into the Leopard installer. Optomistic I followed the torrent instructions and watched as the installer crawled through the install, until it stuck on 45%. I pressed the Esc key again and it bounced up to 75% but that's as far as I got.

It was then I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and figured I'd wait for a more polished image to come out.

Yesterday I found that there's a "flat" image (again, you know where to look) that's 2.6GB and it doesn't require you to burn a DVD.

And it worked! It worked beautifully! But it won't work if you're running AMD.

Here's what I did to get it to work (I'm running Vista. I'm not 100% if this'll work in XP but I don't see why it wouldn't).

1. Downloaded the image (search "Flat Leopard" where you'd normally search. For my fellow Canadians you'll have to use proxy.org to get to this site)
  2. Downloaded and installed EasyBCD (this part is Vista exclusive)
  3. Extracted the image (contained in the .zip file) to C:\Windows\System32 (if using Vista, like myself)
  4. Copied the rest of the files from the torrent into C:\Windows\System32
  5. Opened Computer Management, then Disk Management (the shortcut to Computer Management comes with the torrent)
  6. Taking note of what my 2nd disk is called (mine was Disk1) I right-clicked on it and chose "Delete Volume." The instructions that are with the torrent say you need to select "Delete Partition" as well but there was no option for that, and I didn't need to do it
  7. Copied the .bat file out of the corresponding disk folder (again, Disk1 for myself) into C:\Windows\System32
  8. Right-clicked the Disk1.bat file and clicked "Run As Administrator" (very important for Vista users)
  9. Watched as a DOS window came up and started to run up numbers to 17GB
  10. Restarted my computer, but, unlike what the instructions said to do on the torrent, I booted back into Windows
  11. Opened EasyBCD and followed the directions here (the Windows Vista Before OS X instructions)
  12. Restarted my computer and chose the OS X entry.

And that's it. Choosing the OS X entry on the Vista bootloader brought up the Leopard welcome screen and I was off from there.

What amazed me was that my wireless card worked out of the box - there was no need for me to edit any kext files to get it to work.

I didn't get a chance to play around with it before I had to go to work but I did quickly go to some key areas.

The System Properties (I think that's what it's called) worked.

The Video Properties (my GeForce 7900 GS OC), while it didn't my card specifically, showed that QE and some other Q was supported. It even listed my monitor model number.

Leopard downloaded a couple updates and it looked like it installed them successfully.

So that it's it. I have to find some way to get my audio to work but other than that I think I'm in business.

For you Intel SSE3 folks out there having difficulties installing Leopard off of the DVD give this method a try. I may have listed 10 steps but, seriously, they're not difficult. I couldn't believe how easy it was to install!

Good luck.