Installing Leopard

roflcopterguy

111 posts in this topic

After several attempts to install ToH Leopard on a partition I created with Partition Magic (in Windows) I decided to wipe the whole thing from Disk Utility and partition from the Leopard disk. Worked perfectly. Installed onto the newly created partition without a problem, rebooted with DVD again and ran the script.sh trick, and now OS X runs fine on my PC w/o the disk. Thanks guys.

On second thought, I also had to disable Dual Core Optimization and SpeedStep from the BIOS to make OS X run smoothly. Before doing this Leopard took ages to load, and ran extremely buggy.

Also, I installed this on a Dell e1705 laptop. The Dell Wireless 1500 N series card works with no modification, display is stuck at 1024x768 on my geForce Go 7900 GS but this seems to be a typical problem, and the only one so far with this install.

For all who are really tired of booting issue ( kernel panic ), just try my tips. Right after you done install script.sh, press F8 several times while booting. type cpus=1 ( for dual core CPU ) -legacy -f. You will boot fine to Leopard. After you logged in, open Terminal and type sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. Add cpus=1 ( for dual core CPU ) -legacy -f in second line as following :

<key>Boot Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 -legacy -f</string>

press Ctrl+O to overwrite. And press Ctrl+X to exit Terminal

Repair permission and reboot

You won't get mess boot up by pressing F8 and typing those word again

hey guys I got leopard to install properly on my PC.. everything went fine.. no kernel panics.. I could use the USB keyboard and Mouse during install but during the post install process leopard can't detect/identify my keyboard. The mouse works fine though..

Here are my specs :

Intel G33 / ICH9R

Intel GMA X3100

C2D E4400

160GB SATA (in AHCI)

What do i do now.. is there any kext that I need to modify or anything else that I can do... please help..

After several attempts to install ToH Leopard on a partition I created with Partition Magic (in Windows) I decided to wipe the whole thing from Disk Utility and partition from the Leopard disk. Worked perfectly. Installed onto the newly created partition without a problem, rebooted with DVD again and ran the script.sh trick, and now OS X runs fine on my PC w/o the disk. Thanks guys.

On second thought, I also had to disable Dual Core Optimization and SpeedStep from the BIOS to make OS X run smoothly. Before doing this Leopard took ages to load, and ran extremely buggy.

Also, I installed this on a Dell e1705 laptop. The Dell Wireless 1500 N series card works with no modification, display is stuck at 1024x768 on my geForce Go 7900 GS but this seems to be a typical problem, and the only one so far with this install.

maybe try the Brazilmac dvd, I was using that on my 1705, and got full working 7900GS out of box.

my only problem is after patching the AppleHDAPatcher 1.16, I lost shutdown. After shutdown, the power is still on leaving a blackout screen. as well as a not working network adapter. but airport works fine.

I'm having the exact same issue on my Dell Inspiron 530 desktop (Intel Celeron M). Installation goes fine, get to initial setup and it loops just as henky described. Have tried running completely through the DVD check during install (no errors), and have tried checking disk consistency and repairing permissions in Disk Utility by booting from DVD. All to no avail. Anyone with any thoughts/suggestions? Perhaps there is a way to skip initial setup or enter setup information via command line rather than going through the GUI? Soooo close, yet so far away.

Finally got it!

Took out my GeForce 7300LE and used onboard video (Intel GMA X3100) instead. Also, disabled onboard NIC (Intel 10/100 VE) in BIOS and threw in a 3com. Got through install, past Welcome video, account creation, registration, etc. 3com NIC worked out of the box, onboard video did not, was stuck at 1024x768, no QE/CI. Put the 7300LE back in, Leopard booted fine. Installed NVInject for Leopard, 7300LE now working perfectly with QE/CI through both VGA and DVI. Plugged in USB bluetooth module for my Logitech MX 5000 cordless desktop, immediately recognized, keyboard and mouse both working great. Runs pretty slick for only having a Celeron 1.6 GHz. Everything working now except sound (Realtek ALC888), will try some things later on today. Anyone have any success getting ALC888 working under Leopard?

SWEEET SWEEEEET SUCCESS !! Many thanks to Uphuck and ToH !! Special thanks to all OSx86ers who post here too !!

My Rig: Intel PD925 3.0GHz Dual Core, Biostar 945P-A7A Ver. 8 mobo w/ included 7600GS PCI-e 256M video card, (2) 1G 667 DDR2 RAM modules, generic DVD +/-RW DL IDE drive, random IDE PATA hard drives. cheaptastic beige case & powersupply.

--> look - I am a stinking n00b, none of this may make any sense - but I will try to be descriptive. This worked for me & hopefully you too !

(My trick for having a working 10.X install/setup ?! READ ALL THE FORUM POSTS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN ALREADY ANSWERED !!)

Prior to attempting this, my rig was set-up to dual boot XP and Uphuck 10.4.9 via chain0 & windows boot loader. Frickin' flawless - I might add.

(My XP hard drive is a PATA hanging off of a PCI - SATA/PATA card. Not that it matters, but I include it for completeness (too: OS X can't see this drive))

My Method: Biostar mobo only has one lousy PATA IDE connector, so some PATA hard drive/DVD drive juggling was required.

(a) boot Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r2 via DVD ROM & install on hard drive.

-----(0) use Disk Utility on Uphuck DVD to partition/erase destination hard drive (Options: Master Boot Record w/ (1) HFS+ journaled volume format)

-----(1) My install selection: base install w/ natit 0.1 patch & Realtek R1000 kext. (I also removed the CPU throttling stuff - seemed prudent, YMMV.)

-----(2) after reboot into 10.4.9 - patch/fix AppleAC97Audio.kext for ALC655/ICH7 via this forum post

-----(3) visit & download "newest" 10.5 mach_kernel & AppleSMBIOS.kext via irc.osx86.hu from #leopard and #10.5 channels. Store on same hard drive.

(B) boot ToH x86 10.5 SSE2/SSE3 RC2 DVD ROM & install on same hard drive.

-----(1) don't erase or partition destination hard drive - Install on top of working 10.4.9 install (all the good hacked .kexts will remain (natit / others))

-----(2) I unchecked all options other than the base install (no print drivers/no extra fonts/no X11/no foreign languages)

-----(3) When "verifiy DVD prior to install" began, I (wisely?) cancelled the verify --- 2 prior install attempts w/ "verify DVD" errored & killed my install. YMMV.

Ok - Now the tricky part; you could do this via Terminal booted from UpHuck 10.4.9 DVD -or- ToH x86 10.5 DVD -or- another hard drive w/ 10.4.X installed.

This is where the previously downloaded components (from step a - 3) come into play - What we are attempting to do:

-----(1) replace the mach_kernel on the 10.5 hard drive

-----(2) replace the AppleSMBIOS.kext on the 10.5 hard drive.

-----(3) set correct permissions for mach_kernel and .kext

Uphuck's excellent instructions to accomplish this are here.

Finish & Reboot - Choose "Mac OSX86" via windows boot loader and VIOLA !! HAWT SEXY LEOPARD, BABY !!

I had troubles installing this way. Main problem was having 4 drives in my system (2x 36GB raptor, 2x 500GB). After disconnecting all but one drive I was able to succesfully run the script. I ran it several times (like 8 or so) and after that Leopard booted normally. Reconnected all drives, system works.

System:

Intel BadAxe2 (bx2)

E6600

Club3D 7600GT

2x 36GB Raptor

2x 500GB

24" monitor @ 1920x1200

Post install:

- Natit installer for resolution/QE/CI (http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/NVidia%20(Natit)%20Installer.html)

- HDA patcher for sound

All working very nice althoug it says Intel Core 2 Solo in system profiler.

Minor problem:

- Drives show up in finder as external drives, if anyone knows of a solution, plz reply.

alright i try to boot the DVD and when i use eather normal install or -x or -f or -legacy i get stuck on the "sandbox_init mNDSresponder can't find file/folder and it just sits there forever since the dvd by that point has stopped spinning..

my computer is P4 prescott 2gbram /sse3/hyperthreading.. if anyone can give me any help on how to install leopard. that would be nice..

i get the same results if i load teh DVD for tiger and make partiton and format it for mac then stick the Leopardx86 TOH dvd into my machine. still stops at same positon or it will go to a few lines later saying cant find port on applehelper cant talk to server. any help would be nice.

i get the same problem i have the same cpu 3.2 prescott sse3 toh cd reaches a point and then stops kinda weird

Hi Everyone, Im having the same problem as henky and airrage, I installed the OS initially without any issues but experienced a Kernel panic on boot, I proceeded to carry out geiman's 3 step fix of running the script unmounting the drive and the running the script again, which has allowed me to boot into the OS, but right now im stuck on the Do You Already Own A Mac? screen, I tried the Do not transfer my information now option as I dont have any to transfer, but it then just loops back to the welcome video.

Any help in getting past this issue would be greatly appreciated.

This really sucks, its driving me to desperation, if I dont get this sorted out by the time Apple releases a Penryn based Mac I will just go out and get one of those.

I did a Time Machine backup on my iMac of only my profile, excluding movies, music, documents and system files in a attempt to try a time machine restore post installation when I got to the Do You Already Own A Mac? screen, but after shutting it down last night and trying it again this morning only to find that it now boots to a Kernel Panic again that geiman's 3 step fix no longer fixes where as it did fix it last night.

Someone, anyone please help I know I am probably going to have to reinstall and try again with the time machine user profile backup ready but would prefer not to have to reinstall if its not necesary.

I'm getting kernal panic during the install on my laptop. I really can't see what's going on either. It seems like there are about 2 screens full of text related to the panic and I can't see what step it was on by the time all the panic stuff runs by.

Has anyone successfully installed on a Toshiba Laptop? I have a Satellite P100-ST9412

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

with solution of Gemain, there's no Darwin boot screen but then, there is a welcome screen (alot of welcome phrase of many country), after that i choose region and language, and answer to question: Do you already Own a Mac (response: Do not transfer my information now), the processes repeat from these welcomes phrases. How can I do?? PLEASE HELP :P

Ok, hacking OS X or distributing it is illegal. If you have a certian ToH RC2 disk this is the guide for you. You may not find it on a site with two broken stones. Now on to how to.

This will only work on Intel SSE2/SSE3 processors

an AMD disk is in the works

Once you have the image on a DVD jsut install it. You can use the Disk Utility in your DVD to format your partition. I have heard success stories about upgrading from tiger but have not tryed it myself.

After installer is done you need to do this to get the bootloader to work.

1.) Boot into the install DVD

2.) Open Terminal from the disk

3.) Type where VOLNAME is the name of your partition (for example "Leopard")

PS anything pertaining to Error 35 is normal at any point while running OSx86

4.) Now reboot without the disk and you should have Leopard running

After installation, I beleive that you use the same tweaks to get your hardware working as in Tiger.

If you have questions or things I left out please post them here.

Thanks,

rofl

I just tried using this method....it works great......thanks a lot!

I have got a problem when booting mac os x. It boots just fine when I have the dvd in but when I take out the dvd and restart my computer. It then loads bios screen and then all I get is a blinking underscore. mac os x doesn't boot up without the installation disk.I have read a ton of forums and have tried many methods but none seem to work.It acts like darwin boot loader isn't installed or something. Is there a file I need to edit?

I have run the postpatch and have done boot fix with no success. Is there a hardware issue? I have a hp pavillion dv6000 notebook.I am duel booting vista and leopard.But I am just trying to load leopard without the dvd.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance.