Conroe Mac

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

412 posts in this topic

The 3.3 Has a different Yukon Controller, 8056 i think. Because thats what I change on the yukon.kext. So for those with ver 3.3 boards having trouble with LAN even after editing Yukon2.kext, enter a static IP address instead of doing DHCP. Let it run for a while then switch back to DHCP, this solved my problem with my LAN showing as disconnected.
Thanks Royco, I've added that to the writeup.
I used to hang around the old thread as well, though I'm less likely to be remembered. I'm running out of partitions, and have to decide whether to blow away my working Tiger install to make room for Leopard. According to this thread Leopard installs well on my mobo (a plus). The other question is: is it worth it? Eventually of course software will require it, but for now are there any major benefits? Of course I've read the reviews, but I'm interested in what the hackintosh guys say.
Honestly, I like to be on the bleeding edge of the hackintosh scene especially involving this motherboard as I helped pioneer OS X86 on the GA-965P-DS3, but I don't think Leopard is that big of an upgrade from Tiger. For most people, I would recommend that you just wait for a good DVD to come out to upgrade. There are some neat things in Leopard like coverflow and time machine, but nothing earth shattering. If you want it, go for it. That's what this how-to is for. =)
i have this board but am having issues simply BOOTING the install dvdi had no problems patching the dvd, but when i go to boot off the install dvd, i get a kernel panic related to acpi. see attached pic. i'm running this hardware:intel c2e x6800gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 rev 3.3 bios f12nvidia 7600gt2 gb 1066 rami tried combos of bios settings, ahci, native sata, and hpet to see if that had anything to do with it, but it didnt help, same error. any suggestions?thanks,mattpost-125608-1193629785_thumb.jpg
I would try patching the original disc again watching carefully for errors. It sounds like the DVD did not patch correctly. Then try burning another copy possibly at a slower speed. Another option might be to try using the prepatched disc that is available for download. I should mention that an installed leopard image appeared on Demonoid. With an installed image, one would not need to do any patching. But I think this installed image may be fake because it is 2.5 GB compressed.

EDIT: I noticed that people are getting APCI panics with the prepatched DVD. If you are using the download that was prepatched, then that is the problem. See the last page of this thread: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...b&start=315

Advertisement
You should be able to do with this with the retail disc if you don't have the bandwidth to download the leopard disc. You'll need to create a .dmg image with the retail disc like the one available for download. The other files you need are less than 20 mb.
At the moment I don't have a copy of the retail disc so I'll just have to wait till near the end of the rotation of the bandwidth limit (Reset on the 20th of every month). :(:(

Or, unless a smaller .ISO comes out (I doubt it) or I find a friend or someone to download it (More likely), but I've bookmarked your thread and will follow it (Unless something newer appears in the next 2 weeks).

Thanks mate.

I do have one question though, would the VMWare to Native trick work with Leopard as well? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't if Tiger did but you or someone else might know something I don't (Of which there is much, hah). After I get Leopard working I'll update my VMW->Native guide if anything extra is required.

Upgrade from 10.4.8 Jas install works like a charm too.

This has the advantage of having the working devices like HD audio, LAN and video working right after the upgrade with no boot problems. Unfortunately, Sleep stopped working :(

Just install 10.4.8 or probably any other distribution, Install all necessary drivers to make it 100% working. When all is set, boot from the Leopard DVD you just made from the guide on the first post. Skip the part where you go to Disk utility and erase the drive( we want the 10.4.8 install there for it to be upgraded). Go select the Leopard drive where you installed 10.4.8 and customize to uncheck the printer drivers ,languages and anything you can uncheck. After the install patch it as described in the guide, this can now be done within the DVD itself ( see link on the first post for the original thread). After patching, boot from the Leopard disk and tada! You have a fully working 10.5 with drivers intact!

You may want to back up your files incase you are brave enough to do this on your current (the one you used to patch and create the Leopard dvd) Tiger install.

Excellent! I was wondering whether an upgrde would work. Now all I need is the Leopard ISO.

isnt the retail dual layer, does tha patching make it single layer, also anyone tested this with a bad axe 2 mobo?

I would try patching the original disc again watching carefully for errors. It sounds like the DVD did not patch correctly. Then try burning another copy possibly at a slower speed. Another option might be to try using the prepatched disc that is available for download. I should mention that an installed leopard image appeared on Demonoid. With an installed image, one would not need to do any patching. But I think this installed image may be fake because it is 2.5 GB compressed.

EDIT: I noticed that people are getting APCI panics with the prepatched DVD. If you are using the download that was prepatched, then that is the problem. See the last page of this thread: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...b&start=315

Yea i patched my own dvd. I didnt see any errors, but did it again just to be sure, and burned at minimum speed. Still the same problem.

It's okay to ask questions, but this isn't very relevant to this thread which is for the GA-965P-DS3. My answer is that this process is likely to work if you have an SSE3 capable processor and hardware that worked well under Tiger. So far, this specific method has mostly been tested under P5W and GA-965P motherboards, but that doesn't mean it won't work for others. If you understand what kexts are necessary to make your specific hardware work, you should be able to put something together that works perfectly. If you don't know what those kexts are or how to install them, then I suggest you wait for a better installer in the form of a DVD release. This method is for getting Leopard running and I am hoping to refine it in this thread to getting leopard running perfect on the GA-965P-DS3.

Thanks a lot for that mate. I don't know much about which kexts my system needs and exactly how to upgrade them. Previously I've just followed instructions blindly when upgrading them. For this reason I'll take your advice and probably wait for an installation DVD. Can't be too long away now.

And once again, thanks.

yeah tell us how that goes sabr, im thinking of doing the upgrade on my DQ6

Still waiting on the torrent to finish - but as soon as I have it - I'll get back to you. ;)

Yea i patched my own dvd. I didnt see any errors, but did it again just to be sure, and burned at minimum speed. Still the same problem.
Hmm.. perhaps you could try the flat image on demonoid. It sounds like it may be legit after all. That would avoid having to do any patching or burning of dvds. If I had to do it again, I would probably go that route now. It seems even easier than the USB patcher method.Thanks ohno, could you explain why the image is so small?

Tried this method, only problem is that the installation will not let me deselect languages or fonts. I'm guessing that since they are already installed into Tiger, it assumes they will be upgraded. Once it begins installing, it fails because it cannot find files.

I realize I could modify the patch script and leave all the files in. I'd have to go purchase a dvd9 disc to do that, and I'm lazy.

Any suggestions?

Tried this method, only problem is that the installation will not let me deselect languages or fonts. I'm guessing that since they are already installed into Tiger, it assumes they will be upgraded. Once it begins installing, it fails because it cannot find files.

I realize I could modify the patch script and leave all the files in. I'd have to go purchase a dvd9 disc to do that, and I'm lazy.

Any suggestions?

Don't be lazy.

It seems even easier than the USB patcher method.Thanks ohno, could you explain why the image is so small?

I'm hoping it's just because it's compressed as I've paused the ISO, and started downloading this one now. Although, it seems too good to be true (Leopard in 2.51GB? I dunno.)

touché

Actually, I'm wondering if I can remove fonts/languages/etc from Tiger before upgrading.

You could try removing them from the Leopard DVD itself, thus it would have no files to upgrade Tiger to. ;)

Hey Conroe Mac, can you clarify about this flat 2.5gb image and whether its absolutely essential we need a separate hardisk for it, for instance I have 2 hard disks, one with Xp and the other with tiger, can I attempt this Leopard disk image dd copy to a separate partition on the Tiger disk?

Hey Conroe Mac, can you clarify about this flat 2.5gb image and whether its absolutely essential we need a separate hardisk for it, for instance I have 2 hard disks, one with Xp and the other with tiger, can I attempt this Leopard disk image dd copy to a separate partition on the Tiger disk?

I would love to clarify but I have not used it. Reading from the description it sounds like you need two hard drives and you have to delete the whole drive. The best person to clarify of course is Ohno who was in this thread a moment ago....

QUOTE(raulb @ Oct 29 2007, 08:39 PM) *

Hey Conroe Mac, can you clarify about this flat 2.5gb image and whether its absolutely essential we need a separate hard disk for it, for instance I have 2 hard disks, one with Xp and the other with tiger, can I attempt this Leopard disk image dd copy to a separate partition on the Tiger disk?

I would love to clarify but I have not used it. Reading from the description it sounds like you need two hard drives and you have to delete the whole drive. The best person to clarify of course is Ohno who was in this thread a moment ago....

well. The thing is that i dd'd the first 15,5G of the 15G leopard image. It has the mbr & the end (which is RAW) of that partiton in it as well. But i guess no, its not necessary to have a separate hard disk as long as you keep the other partitions more then say 16-17G away from the beginning of that drive.

But you still have to use the dd "if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition0" command to get it bootable as far as i know.

I don't really know what happens if you try to write such an image to a single partition. But i do know that when you write over the mbr it will be troublesome to boot in to windows/linux from that drive.

Hey, thanks for the clarification. I get it now why you said to use a new disk. So the MBR can be written to the disk and Leo can boot.

My first 250gb disk has XP, Vista and Ubuntu. My second 120gb disk has OSX Tiger installed on the first 20gb partition and ntfs storage on the second 100gb partition. I use easyBCD to boot the OSs.

I suspect dd to the first Tiger partition should work but then I will lose the Tiger installation. Maybe I can figure out a way, Will experiment a bit since the second hard disk doesn't really have any important data apart from the test tiger installation. Will update this thread on any successes. Thanks Ohno66.

The instalation started after being written to DVD.

I wrote three times to DVD-RW at minimal speed and it didn`t work, so I guess this can be added to tutorial.

The instalation started after being written to DVD.

I wrote three times to DVD-RW at minimal speed and it didn`t work, so I guess this can be added to tutorial.

Thanks Laik. I will add that to the tutorial. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig =/

I'm working on sleep. I've got good news and bad news. Good news: sleep worked in 10.4.8 so we should be able to get it working in Leopard. Bad news: I think the problem is in the mach kernel (royal pita).

Hmm.. perhaps you could try the flat image on demonoid. It sounds like it may be legit after all. That would avoid having to do any patching or burning of dvds. If I had to do it again, I would probably go that route now. It seems even easier than the USB patcher method.Thanks ohno, could you explain why the image is so small?

it works!!

i had to use my edited AppleYukon.kext from tiger to get ethernet working though. sound works (azalia) and video works at fulls res with ci/qe (7600gt).

thanks to conroe mac for all the help

-matt

So has anyone here managed to get Leopard and Vista dual booting from a single Hard disk? I'm trying to do that, but Leopard never managees to boot (the first time i installed, after i rebooted into Leopard i got a "Missing Operating System" error message. Then I repaired vista by popping in the vista dvd, and then added the chain0 file to the vista bootloader, and still couldn't boot in.

Could someone please help me with that? I don't have Tiger installed. Thanks a lot!

Conroe Mac, Please edit the guide for the rev 3.3 edit for the LAN. In my installation there is no AppleYukon.kext instead it has AppleYukon2.kext. It is formatted differently that the original Yukon.kext but the changes to be made are the same.

As for sleep, still a no go for me. I hope we come up with a fix, so far its one of my best and most stable hackintosh installs so far.

Thanks

Reporting another fine install with the Demonoid flat image on my 965P-DS3 (rev 1.0 bios F12).

Everything works right out of the box! I love this mobo.

Cheers