Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OneArmedScissor

40 pin cable or 80 pin cable

3 posts in this topic

I am at the select a destination screen. But i cannot continue because there is no volume to select. I was wondering if the ide cables have to be 80 pin in order to have the option of selecting a destination.Or do i need sata for my hdd's?

Advertisement

you need to format the drive. go into the menus and look for Disk Utility.

if you're running IDE, its advised to run 80 wire cables because you will have a higher data transfer speed [every other wire is a ground].

hope that helps you out. while a 40 wire cable will work without a problem, take into consideration that OS X is a very intensive OS, and you will need a faster transfer speed from drive to RAM.

Thanks Man I did it, there was just some confusion on my part. Hopefully this ship sails smoothly.

Case closed for now.

you need to format the drive. go into the menus and look for Disk Utility.

if you're running IDE, its advised to run 80 wire cables because you will have a higher data transfer speed [every other wire is a ground].

hope that helps you out. while a 40 wire cable will work without a problem, take into consideration that OS X is a very intensive OS, and you will need a faster transfer speed from drive to RAM.