Single user vs. family pack

badlydrawn

5 posts in this topic

I'm new to mac, I just recently bought my first one a few months ago. I was wondering, what's the difference between the single licence and the family pack? I know that MAC oses don't have serial numbers, so what's preventing someone of purchasing a single user leopard and sharing it whith whomever he wants? Or am I completely wrong in that leopard does have a serial number...

Thanks guys!

P.S. I coulnd't find this in the search, unless I'm doing it wrong, then I appologize.

There's no serial number, Apple has to trust you (obviously, serial numbers have proven ineffective for everyone else!). As our friend the Animé character said above, a Single User license authorizes installation on one computer, whereas a Family Pack is for 5 Macs within the same household.

(Nitpick: Mac is not an acronym, so it's not MAC—which, incidentally, is something totally different—but Mac, an abbreviation for Macintosh. The Macintosh brand was originally released in 1984 with the original "Macintosh", but "Mac" is generally all that's used nowadays.)