A LA XPOSTFACTO

banini_jeque

1 post in this topic

There's this utility you can download for old Mac's that allows you to install Mac OS X on unsupported systems called XPostFacto. Basically it installs a helper mach_kernel and device drivers on your hard drive, and then uses them to load the installation disk. That way you can use an unpatched installation disk. So, if someone put something like that together, it would create a much more legal way to install OS X on hackintoshes, since you could go out and buy yourself a copy of Leopard, download the utility, and install. I imagine the easiest way to do it, would be to create a bootable Darwin ISO that installs the necessary kernel and drivers and formats your drive, along with some scripts to pull a few things off of the Leopard install disk later. Then you would reboot, replace the Darwin utility disk with your brand new legitimate Leopard disk, and off you would go. It may not be completely legal, but at least you wouldn't have to steal OS X anymore. Then again, I suppose you could just go buy a copy, and then download a hacked install disk, so it wouldn't be stealing since you bought it, but, I dunno.