Make your old iPod's UI look like an iPod Classic

Nadeem

16 posts in this topic

Make your old iPod's UI look like an iPod Classic

Apple uses new features and UI enhancements that are only available in the current generation of iPods as a carrot to get people to upgrade to the newest model. The new UI on the iPod Classics is a great example. These features could have been placed on the previous generation of iPods with a firmware update, but Apple decided not to do that. as they have for most of the iPod's history (which is their right, of course).

Some eager hackers have modded the 5th gen iPod's firmware to make it look more like the iPod Classic's. If you're jonsing for split screen navigation but don't want to pony up for cash for a new iPod this is for you.

Keep in mind, though, that this entails changing the firmware that is currently on your iPod (which is Apple approved, the firmware that is, not replacing it) to something that was modified by a third party. Bad things could happen (though they could just as equally not ) so be prepared to deal with the consequences should the process run amok.

How To :

Use iPod Wizard 1.3 ( Down. Link below ) , open it , choose firmware file from the edit mode drop list , choose the firmware linked below , and then hit write to ipod , wait till it finishes then eject the ipod …

WARNING : The firmware is not Mac Friendly , meaning that if your ipod is Mac formatted it'll prolly gonna be bricked , so you better use windows….

Download:

Latest version - iPodWizard v1.3

Good Luck !

Well, the new nanos have a 320x240 screen, which is not the same as the older nanos, so you can't put the new software on them.

The new ipod classic is very similar to the old 5g ipods, that's why this works.

Add to that , 2g and 3g nano's both have an encrypted Firmware that cant be modded/edited..

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much...I've been waiting a while for this =p

EDIT:

Quick question...Can I re-format as a Mac-pod and have iTunes still think it's a Classic? I dunno...I have this thing against FAT32 Formatted things....

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much...I've been waiting a while for this =p

EDIT:

Quick question...Can I re-format as a Mac-pod and have iTunes still think it's a Classic? I dunno...I have this thing against FAT32 Formatted things....

Well , actually even with the FAT32 Modded 5G , iTunes will not think its Classic , thats because the hackers modded the GUI part of the 5G original Firmware , so iTunes would still think its 5G and not classic.

Now if you reformat ( or we can say Restore) your ipod to Mac-Format or Windows-Format , the original Firmware will be back with the old GUI ...

But as i said before , if you try to flash your Mac-Formatted iPod , some users reported that they got bricked...

Hope this helped

I dunno...I think I might go back to the old one.

No offense, it works really well, and does a pretty good job, but a FAT 32 iPod runs soooo much slower in uploading music that it's not worth it anymore. My new Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play now has my iPod hiding in my glove box, and I rarely look at it anymore.

Thanks for the info though!

I dunno...I think I might go back to the old one.

No offense, it works really well, and does a pretty good job, but a FAT 32 iPod runs soooo much slower in uploading music that it's not worth it anymore. My new Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play now has my iPod hiding in my glove box, and I rarely look at it anymore.

Thanks for the info though!

I agree with you that the HFS+ ( MAC ) formatted ipod are way faster than the FAT32 ones... but the only thing which is holding me from formatting my ipod to HFS + is that i wont be able to use it in Windows machines ( although its possible with third party apps [ Shareware ] ) ..

Now i've Got something for you, after you format your ipod to MAC , you may wanna try this in order to mod the firmware ( Tested by 2 ppl and it didnt brick ) :

download this : http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/18657/alterPod.zip

and then flash the modded firmware with it after you have formatted your iPod to mac...

Now in case you got bricked ( Prolly you wont ) just send your ipod into Disk Mode and then perform a normal Restore in iTunes , you will be back with the original state ..

I hope i helped you

• 8 months later...

HELP!!! I just changed the firmware on my 5.5 gen 80gb iPod. The firmware works as far as the graphics goes, but all of my songs are missing. If I hook up the iPod to my computer and use Winamp, floola, or iTunes, all of my songs are listed. How do I get them to show in the iPod? Can I go back to the original firmware without losing my songs?

Thanks

Guest iPod Hacka
HELP!!! I just changed the firmware on my 5.5 gen 80gb iPod. The firmware works as far as the graphics goes, but all of my songs are missing. If I hook up the iPod to my computer and use Winamp, floola, or iTunes, all of my songs are listed. How do I get them to show in the iPod? Can I go back to the original firmware without losing my songs?

Thanks

Click here