Black Screen after installing Jas 10.4.8

Gabriel Simões

8 posts in this topic

First, I'd like to ask sorry for double posting (install and pos install).

I didn't know where it should be posted so please admins, feel free to delete the wrong placed post.

I've just installed the osx using one version of Jas 10.4.8 compilation (don't know exactly wich as I got the dvd from a friend).

I have Windows xp installed so what I did was to destroy a second partition (extended + logical) and created another primary partition, fat32.

Restarted the computer and booted using the dvd .... formated the second partition as HFS Extended (....) and installed everything from the cd but the Intell stuff.

Installation went great and I got no error messages or stuff ... everything seemed to copied/installed and at the end I was asked to reboot the machine ....

After rebooting darwing came up and I could choose between windows / osx.

Booted windows to check if everything was ok .... took a little time and a message of a new hardware appeared .... it installed (don't know what it installed anyway...) and I rebooted again into windows ... everything seemed ok.

So i tried osx for the first time .... the initial screen came up gracefully, the gray one with the apple logo and the spyral .... but then the video halted (monitor's power light started to flash) and I got no more hd activity.

Some minutes after I decided to reboot and try again using -v ...

I got many strange messages, among them some like those:

PCI 1022: family specific matching fails

Display: family specific matching fails

Titan: could not find a display match

and ended with something like couldn't read user specified ..... (it was quick so I couldn't get the whole message)

Then I started with -v -x (secure mode), and got those messages:

Titan: trying nvidia match (something like this)

Natit: setting model ati Radeon 9600 series Secondary

and then a message about a login screen or some ... and everything stopped again.

My computer is:

Semprom 64 2600+, mb: Asus K8V-MX, Radeon 9550 agp 8x video card. hd: seagate ata 133 120 gb (1 ntfs and 1 hfs+ partitions). 768mb ram ddr1 400, hp cd recorded and lg dvd recorder. Audigy 2 zs platinum soundcard.

About my videocard: It was bought OEM but I don't think it was "updated" to work as 9600 pro (not yet ;D).

Please, any help tip suggestion advice question will be happily accepted.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english,

Gabriel Simões

EDIT : -------------

I've made the mistake of installing every single patch in the cd. reinstalled choosing only what I needed and it works!

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem for me, i've used the Jas 10.4.8 dvd on a P4 d630, asus p5p800se and ati radeon 9550.

The installation went great with no errors, and after reboot the grey screen with the apple and then the black screen.

Can anyone help us?

P.s.

I apologize for my poor english, I hope you understand....

I too have the same problem, please help me if anyone has any solution. I am tried so many times re-installing. I have the same exact screen mentioned above.

Titan: trying nvidia match (something like this)

Natit: setting model ati Radeon 9600 series Secondary

I have the same issue, I find that if I move my mouse while the the os is loading and it transitions from the grey screen to the black that my monitor cuts off and then after a second or two it turns back on and loads the desktop.

I got the same problem with a AMD 3GHz on Asus A8N-E with ATI Radeon x700 SE.

I can boot from JaS 10.4.8, Mac OS X can be installed without problem, but when I reboot I got black screen before login.

I have installed ATI patch during installation process, can be a problem?

Plese, someone help us. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmm let me try to help a little bit...

what you should try is boot in single mode and do:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

It basically removes Natit, Titan, AGPGart kext's i had some issues with them so i fixed my problem the way i wrote a few lines before

now see if your system boots you wont be able to change the resolution but yo will be able to boot i think :( if it boots we can find a suitable solution for you graphics card to work QE/CI if we can...

i'm putting this tread to bookmarks and ill be checking it, so i'm waiting for your responses