Dual boot with current installation

JCsHands

6 posts in this topic

So I have been searching online for about a week and have fund alot of guide and how tos on creating a dual boot system, if you are currently running Windows. But what about those of us that have ditched Windows a while ago, now need, or would like, to have a dual boot system?

So here is what I have and what I need. I have two, well 3, Hard Drives in my computer and I have OS X on one and Windows XP on the other. I dont care what hard drive the system boots off of, just as long as I get to choose which OS I am going to use. So if anybody knows how I can use the Darwin boot loader or the chain0 trick to decided which I am going to boot off of and is willing to share it with me, I would be most grateful. Mainly because it will save me from having to open my computer and swap cable each time I want to play Dungeon Siege, or just about any other game for that matter.

I tried to install the dual boot system, which were Windows XP and Mac x86. there were both to install to primary partition. (I am not sure the best way, but it work fine only had some driver problem.) I can choice windows XP or Mac x86 to boot. I used "tboot" that is same "Chain0" in my Windows Xp boot.ini.

I hpoe it can help you.

@OP:

since you already have both os's installed on their own drive, you can press the appropriate F-key on boot up to get the boot menu from your bios, which will ask you which device to boot first.

check your mb manual to see which F-key to press.

Thanks cbmkgd for the idea but my BIOS doesnt allow me to select which drive I will be booting off of, just hard drive or optical drive. I think that I am going to try the chain0 method and hope that it works. I really dont want to have to reinstall both OS X and Windows on the same drive just so that I can dual boot.

Thanks for the help and ideas so far guys.

locate Chain0 file from google cna copy to your windows XP root directory C:\.......then and this line to your windows boot....(C:\chain0="Mac OS X86")......to get to windows boot, right click on my computer, then click advanced, then where it says startup and recovery, click settings the edit and athe line described above and you will have the perfect dual boot system using XP's bootloader..........