Shop Cart USA

autumnfilms

5 posts in this topic

so the site, shopcartusa.com has great prices on cameras, especially the nikon d80, $299 to be exact...

so heres my question: are those sites trustworthy? I've called them each and none of them have it in stock with the soonest one coming in in three weeks. I'll wait that long, however I don't want to give up my credit card number to this site if it's a scam. Has anyone ordered a product from them, or does anyone have any advise?

If your unfamilar with the site, check it out, it says it's 100% trustworthy and 100% garaunteed... is it true?

Be VERY, VERY weary of "too good to be true" pricing from online retailers, because it usually is. Trust me, there are lots of sites that are scams. You place the order, and it says "in stock", USA version online. After you order, you WILL get a call from them, claiming they are sending it to you, but it's the Japanese version with no english manuals. They will then pressure the HELL out of you to get you to buy overpriced accessories. If you do so, they will ship it. If not, they will claim it's on backorder, and give you hell about cancelling your order, if it's even possible.

There are well known culprits here, most of them out of NYC. Unfortunately, resellerratings.com does not have any reviews for shopcartusa.comIf you're looking for a bargain, search sites like www.digitaldeals.net, or look on e-bay. You can sneak maybe $50-$100 on a legitimate deal. But if someone is offering something like a $500 camera for $299, you can be ABSOLUTELY sure there's a catch.

Just so you know.. Here's the resellerratings listings for the 3 companies selling it for $299. It's exactly what I thought:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Price_Cameras_6

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/USA_Photo_Nation

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras

All 3 are known scam outfits.

wow, hey thanks guys...

so check this out, I called USA photo nation, to ask if the camera was in stock, the d80, they said it was in stock and would ship within 24 hours... so I ordered it (before I posted this topic) and then called them back and they said it was on back order for 3 to 4 weeks, I then waited 3 to 4 weeks and they said it was on back order for another 6 to 8 weeks, hmm, sounds fishy, so I cancled my order, and posted this collumn to see if I should try other places. Now I know.

I'm happy with my Olympus E500... Don't sneer at 4:3 ;)

It's easy to use my legacy M42 & C/Y lenses. Camera's cheap too.

Plus, I have to crop less than 3:2 guys to print on anything other than 4x6 prints, and they're too damn small anyway ;)

Only thing I prefer about Canons is the low light performance, and even the newer Olys have "Live MOS" (aka CMOS) sensors to improve that. Have Nikon switched to CMOS now? Only thing is that CMOS sensors are worse at lower ISOs :D Anyway, there's far too much snobbery... It's _got_ to be Canon or Nikon according to most of the people I meet in photography circles. I used to use Fuji cameras, but when I made the switch to dSLR I couldn't afford any of Fuji's. Agan, there's snobbery about those. Oh look. Super CCD sensors interpolate. The photos look {censored} at 1:1 on your computer screen, so the camera must be {censored}. Hello. PRINT!