Leopard = Vista?

Ayanami

56 posts in this topic

The big differences between where Vista and Leopard are are the following:

Vista is a pretty Windows Operating System, Leopard is a pretty version of OS X. Big difference there.

Vista has a different fanbase (for lack of a better term) than does OS X and Leopard. OS X and Leopard are geared more toward people like us, and Vista is geared toward more people who Game and like to run high-intensity applications (seeing as how PCs are easily upgradeable).

And, the main reason:

Leopard has been released to the public for a little over 2 months. Most, if not all bugs will be fixed or come extremely close to being fixed next month about half-way in. Vista has been out for an entire year, and almost none of its issues has been addressed as of yet (I HAVE used SP1, I saw no improvements other than a 5-15% increase in boot/shut down time.)

And, that's basically all there is to it.

• 2 weeks later...
There's really a fine line between evolution and revolution and until something comes out to take both titles at once, I'm going to continue to run Windows and OS X at my home and my office.

A Mac can take both titles at once. That's one of the selling points.

i dont understand why people arguing sometimes in flames like about if windows or leopard better? they are both pretty nice looking and in their own world doing-the-job type of OSs. If you like leo, or tiger or whatever Apple OS just use it if does what you need to do. If vista or xp or whatever version does the job for you than use that one... If both does spesific needs of yours than use them both. One way or another they both do their respective jobs, and both companies will go forward with updates or releases as they did for the last almost! 30 years... Just being a fanboy without a mind arguing this one better fruuck the other one, i hate it bla bla type of comments are useless and not constructive at all. If you want to do something constructive and usefull, just write to their (ms-apple-linux or whatever's) feedback systems and show them what you like, what you want to see, and what could be done to improve overall experience of yours or others... You may think they will ignore you, but I think otherway around... because if what you say is a really good feedback and convincing they will take it into considiration. But of course they dont have a duty to satisfy individuals at certain times...

people who are writing the OSs from ground up or as an update, are spending countless hours of labour into something that will make millions of people make money out of it as well... if you are do not like something doesnt mean you should disrespect it... both companies need eachother in their life cycles hence even more companies needed really in order to get best experience in real fact!

if only MS existed, you would probably be paying 500-1000$ for your everyday OSs and etc...

if only Apple existed, you would be paying the similar amouonts for your OS plus maybe 3000-5000$ for mini and 6000-1000 your other macs... not to mention ipods would be 1000 ranges as well...

if other companies or open-source community didnt existed, you would be paying ++extra moneys for each extra thing on your OS, search engine ++$, ie or safari ++$, expose ++$, media player or quicktime, and you can exlarge the list to infinite programs that you are using now without paying extra for these....

wheter you like it or not both companies are good and they are doing good for you and for themselves! you may like one over other, but that doesnt give you right to disrespect the other... just be more gratefull...

cheers...

I want an OS that allows me to accomplish and organize my tasks faster. Leo does in 5 mouse clicks what Vista does in 25. Period.

Now to answer the actual forum question: Is Apple doing the same mistakes Microsoft is doing?

I think if you try both OSes, the answer is clear: Leo seems to have been constructed more carefully and with more 'style'. Microsoft made a new version of the OS we all used for a decade (Windozer). Just like XP after 98, the good people will learn how to use it.

Still wondering why Bill Gates escaped the back door?

Still wondering why MacOS surpasses Windows in Japan?

Yes, of course its not all black and white. I'm glad Vista exists because n00bs don't get ripped off with really cheap video cards anymore. Competition pushes everything forward .... to our ultimate robot-controlled future!!!!

My take: Both are good OS's, but each excels in what they were intended for. Vista excels in the corporate environment, and Leopard in the personal environment.

I myself prefer OSX for personal use, I am an artist and OSX definitely revolves around this area, to an extent. I do find it more enjoyable for daily tasks too such as surfing etc. Leopard has lots of nice new features, though with it's fair share of bugs. I've actually been using Vista on my Macbook Pro much more often recently because of the WiFi bugs in Leopard, which literally drops the WiFi connection every couple minutes making it close to useless. Really waiting for 10.5.2...

On the other hand, I'm the head of IT at my company and Windows (and have moved about 90% of our computers to Vista), without any doubt, is far better suited for this task and probably always will be. Trying to manage 50+ Macs in a business environment would be nothing short of hell. Vista overall seems like a much larger upgrade to me than Leopard, although with many more subtle features compared to Leopard. The largest problem with the move to Vista was familiarity, and a few application hiccups, but for the most part was a reasonably easy experience.

I really don't think see it appropriate to compare the two as they are so different, and their focuses lie in different areas.

Macs are becoming the luxury market of personal computers. Their OS and computer designs make a point a making sure you know that. With something like a 7 percent market share, my guess is this will slowly increase, but it will eventually cap unless Apple intends to shift their priorities. Apple is a company that is aimed at the consumer market, and very few companies will ever make the switch. I do wish Apple would get on the ball with graphics (graphics cards specifically), as for power machines seemingly intended for heavy graphics and entertainment use they continually fail in this area. Unfortunately I don't see this coming anytime soon =(

In the end I really don't prefer either, just use which ever I feel is better for the task I'm doing. I have the luxury with my MBP to use both, and I love it.