Mac OS 9 and wireless capability?

SDRacer48

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just bought this Apple G3 266MHz PowerBook for $45 USD on eBay. It is in really good condition and is coming preloaded with Mac OS 9. I primarily bought it becuase I want to play with Mac OS 9 (I have never used it before), and this PowerBook was a cheap alternative.

My problem is that I need a wireless networking PCMCIA card that will work with this particular model. I did some research, and it said that this particular model of PowerBook does not support Airport Cards. But it does support Type II and Type III PC cards, which if I am not mistaken, are still the standard PCMCIA cards that a lot of laptops use.

My Questions:

Do you know if I can download the Airport program for Mac OS 9 for this particular model of PowerBook, and install an Airport Card?

-and-

Do you know if I can just install any "common" brand of Type II or Type III PC card, and the PowerBook just pick it up and use it as best as possible.

-or-

If there are any commonly know Type II or Type III PC cards that work well with Mac OS 9 that come with drivers.

Any other information, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

Cody Griffin

Keep on macKIN'

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know if your powerbook is supported by airport software but if not it can be made to work (i have it working on a powerbook 3400c with OS8.6, neither of which are supported by airport 2.04 :thumbsup_anim: ) get it here

you will need a Lucent wavelan turbo card, the airport software should just recognise it as an airport card (you can even use one with any mac that supports an original airport card in the airport socket, the airport socket is really just a pccard socket). a few companies made compatible cards but they are harder to recognise so just look for a used wavelan or orinoco (silver, gold and bronze all work AFAIK)

more details here and here

newer versions of the card are not compatible and look different so make sure you get one that looks just like the ones in the pictures on those sites, i made the mistake of buying one blind and it was newer and wouldnt work.

hope this helps