ZFS... Check it out!

Adrian Fogge

23 posts in this topic

ZFS is a filesystem that was designed by Sun Microsystems. It's core benefit is that it is a fully versioned filesystem, allowing multiple previous versions of one file to be stored with near zero overhead to the filesystem.

This is because the previous versions only store what had changed in the file, allowing the meta-files to be built dynamically from the data on the disk.

Additionally, it allows one to build dynamic RAID Arrays by simply adding storage capacity to the "pool".

The largest benefit of the filesystem is the way that data is stored and accessed. It will perform checksums on all data to detect file corruption and then automatically rebuild the lost data. It will also automatically reorder data based on patterns in how it is accessed.

Additionally, instead of a standard file system table as is used in most file systems for indexing, it uses an actual database entry that can be read strait from the disk into the drive's memory for immediate access to all metadata for all files on the whole partition.

Very amazing stuff.

I really want ZFS. If full read/write and boot support comes to 10.5.x, I will dump HFS+ for ZFS on the spot. A lot of people say that ZFS doesn't do much for consumers but is mostly targeted at enterprise servers...but I see right through them...I call {censored}...what they're telling me is {censored}.

I want corruption-free data...I want my 3 HDs to act and feel like one big ass 1.5 TB HD ... and I want Time Machine to work using ZFS. That last one is not gonna happen but maybe 10.6 will bring that option.

"ZFS is a filesystem that was designed by Sun Microsystems. It's core benefit is that it is a fully versioned filesystem, allowing multiple previous versions of one file to be stored with near zero overhead to the filesystem.

This is because the previous versions only store what had changed in the file, allowing the meta-files to be built dynamically from the data on the disk.

Additionally, it allows one to build dynamic RAID Arrays by simply adding storage capacity to the "pool".

The largest benefit of the filesystem is the way that data is stored and accessed. It will perform checksums on all data to detect file corruption and then automatically rebuild the lost data. It will also automatically reorder data based on patterns in how it is accessed.

Additionally, instead of a standard file system table as is used in most file systems for indexing, it uses an actual database entry that can be read strait from the disk into the drive's memory for immediate access to all metadata for all files on the whole partition.

Very amazing stuff."

does this have an affect on the end user, especially the near zero overhead for previous versions?

like say it is working and i switch from HFS+ to ZFS what would i notice?

A lot of people say that ZFS doesn't do much for consumers but is mostly targeted at enterprise servers...
So a lot of people are stupid. Almost all OS technologies for consumers came from the enterprise servers.
like say it is working and i switch from HFS+ to ZFS what would i notice?
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/
Hmm... Apple seems to say in the notes it requires GUID. does this mean PPC macs cant use zfs? I think so.
Give feedback about ZFS please :D

Try this:

/usr/sbin/zfs

and you will get:

ZFS Readonly implemntation is loaded!

To download the full ZFS read/write kext with all functionality enabled, please go to http://developer.apple.com

Read-Only ZFS Implementation

missing command

usage: zfs command args ...

where 'command' is one of the following:

list [-rH] [-o property[,property]...] [-t type[,type]...]

[-s property [-s property]...] [-S property [-S property]...]

[filesystem|volume|snapshot] ...

get [-rHp] [-o field[,field]...] [-s source[,source]...]

<all | property[,property]...> [filesystem|volume|snapshot] ...

mount

mount [-o opts] [-O] -a

mount [-o opts] [-O] <filesystem>

unmount [-f] -a

unmount [-f] <filesystem|mountpoint>

send [-i <snapshot>] <snapshot>

Each dataset is of the form: pool/[dataset/]*dataset[@name]

For the property list, run: zfs set|get

########

lets think about that. Doesnt it mean we wont be able to add or modify a *.kext or a *.plist ?

if true [and i dont understand ZFS] that would be a negative benefit, huh?