ukp

a little birdie tweets - 9A559

1,058 posts in this topic

Advertisement
As he said, the icon matches your computer, i.e. a MacBook.

On Leopard or Tiger? On Tiger it is always an iMac G4. (which is what I have so I have no problems with that!)

to end the bloody confusion

In tiger, your computer is always shown as an iMac G4. In Leopard, it is shown as your actual computer. My iMac G5 shows as such. And the picture of the icon being a MacBook on his MacBook shows that the icon changes to match the computer you're running.

Some quick questions on upgrading and networking:

Can you upgrade from Panther to Leopard PPC?

Can you network with versions of OS X as far back Jaguar?

I've heard people say that they prefer Leopard's look with Graphite turned on. Is Graphite still available as an option in Appearance? If so, what does it look like?

Firefox 3 and Graphite

post-116306-1191794435_thumb.png

post-116306-1191794877_thumb.png

I don't know how testable Back to My Mac is currently, but to anyone who has tested it:

When you connect to the remote machine, do its network-shared resources BEYOND the Finder also magically pop up?

What I'm wondering about specifically are iTunes and iPhoto libraries - we can browse those for network computers. When you go Back To Your Mac, do its iPhoto and iTunes shares show up in those programs? I'm guessing no, but it would be pretty neat.

Thanks!

With Back to My Mac, you can only browse the folders, but there is always screen sharing. There is an address that you can put in the box when you open the screen sharing application. Just enter your username and password and you are good to go. :(

picture11nx4.png

On my PowerBook G4, Leopard runs great. Time Machine can lag a little bit when you enter the UI. Otherwise, it runs great.

Yeah, it's fast, but certainly not as fast as my MacBook Pro C2D. Leopard, as Steve Jobs puts it, "Screams" on this thing. :)

Hello,

Does anyone know if Leopard has the ability to only show filenames for "unknown" file types?

I just want to be able to hide the .doc/.ppt/.xls in the Finder (I can tell the file-type from the icon, so I obviously wouldn't get confused by cat.ppt, cat.jpg and cat.mov all being just "cat") - is there a way to do that without also hiding file-extensions for 'foreign' file types (.mht for example :)), and without manually doing a Get Info on all of my Word/PowerPoint/Excel files and ticking "Hide Extension"? Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but I am liking the folder icons!!

Hello!

Searching the internet for some days I still don't know if there is in leopard a way to navigate folders in the Dock the way was possible in precedent versions (right clicking), or if the new Stacks feature is the unique way to show the contents of a folder in the Dock... I use very often that feature to navigate to nested folders.

which one ?
I have a 12" PowerBook G4 1GHz w/756MB of RAM.
Hello!Searching the internet for some days I still don't know if there is in leopard a way to navigate folders in the Dock the way was possible in precedent versions (right clicking), or if the new Stacks feature is the unique way to show the contents of a folder in the Dock... I use very often that feature to navigate to nested folders.
I was a little disenchanted when I tested it and found out there is no way to right click and navigate from the dock. But what I did find is that Stacks is actually quite a bit quicker than what I used to do. Two clicks and you're navigating the contents of a folder inside a stack. It's much smoother than right clicking and whatnot.

How does the Green traffic-light button behave in Finder? On Tiger it seems to most often just squish the contents down vertically and doesn't seem very useful..

How does the Green traffic-light button behave in Finder? On Tiger it seems to most often just squish the contents down vertically and doesn't seem very useful..

The Finder window adjusts vertically based on the height of the sidebar or the height of the content viewed, whichever is taller. Horizontally, it adjusts based on the width of the content you are viewing. For instance, if you are in column view and are 5 columns in, the finder window will accommodate to the width.