Install on Thinkpad T42 - Trackpoint

MrAnt

7 posts in this topic

I installed 10.4.8 on my IBM T42 and everything works great. The only issue is that the trackpoint (the red nubby pointing stick) only works occasionaly. I prefer this to the touchpad, and the behaviour of the pointing stick is very off. When I boot up and get to the login screen, the stick works great. But about 80% of the time, when I log in and the desktop loads, the stick stops working. This doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it works and I'm happy, but like I said, its not consistent. I have a feeling it has to do with a driver being loaded during startup, and I would love to hear if anyone knows what driver it is and if I can replace it with a newer/older one to give me more consistent trackpoint behaviour.

Thanks,

--MrAnt--

Works on my T42 without problem under 1ß.4.9

My installation is based on Jas 10.4.8 and updated with a guide from this forum:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45283

Ok, I updated to 10.4.9 with the latest universal kernel. The trackpoint still has the same problems and on top of it all my system performance has dropped horribly. Also my battery meter disappeared. On the plus side, before I upgraded whenever I moved a window there was horrible tearing/artifacting. That went away. Does anyone know how to improve system performance? And do you think the trackpoint issue would be resolved in the 10.4.10 update?

Also my CPU only supports up to SSE2 and I haven't read anything about 10.4.10 supporting SSE2. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

--MrAnt--

Just to update, I upgraded to 10.4.9 with the universal 8.9.1 kernel and everything is running well. I got my battery meter back and my AR5212 wifi card is detected as an airport. The only problem I am having is with the trackpoint. When the system boots and its sitting at the login window the trackpoint works. But when I log in and the desktop loads the trackpoint stops working. It should be noted that the login window is at 1024x768 resolution and my desktop runs at 1400x1050. Its right when the desktop resized to the 1400x1050 that the trackpoint stops working. This is what makes me think its a drive issue. I thought maybe it was my mouse driver that was causing a conflict, but even when I boot without the mouse plugged in the problem is still there. If anyone has any idea, maybe the name of a .kext file I could look at or try removing.

Thank you,

--MrAnt--

I figured out what causes the trackpoint to stop working. I wound up reinstalling JaS 10.4.8 and upgrading to 10.4.9 and the trackpoint was working 100% of the time. Then I went into system preferences --> Keyboard and Mouse --> trackpad and turned on clicking and INSTANTLY the trackpoint went dead.

Let me know what you think about this and if there would be a way to enable clicking with the trackpad and still keep the trackpoint.

--MrAnt--