kernel panic during high speed transfer

Hakemon

22 posts in this topic

I'm not getting hardly any support from this forum, so this is my last attempt to get help.

When playing music over my USB sound card, the Xmod, as my onboard isn't support, and I start a large file transfer via my NIC at 100mbps speed, it kernel panics. If I am not however playing music, there is no panic.

No log is ever produced either.

Hardly getting support? How about helping us a bit? What hardware are you using? What version and distri of OSX are you using? What happens if you unplug the sounddevice and transfer the data then?

As you can see I can only ask questions instead of giving answers. Please post ALL information reagrding your problem/question please.

Hardly getting support? How about helping us a bit? What hardware are you using? What version and distri of OSX are you using? What happens if you unplug the sounddevice and transfer the data then?

As you can see I can only ask questions instead of giving answers. Please post ALL information reagrding your problem/question please.

i had been spewing the specs and make for every other post i tried to get help on..

once again.. PC Chips M963G, Pentium 4 3.00GHz Northwood, 512MB RAM, 80GB IDE Hard Drive

JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3, if the USB sound card is unplugged with the system on, that usually will also kernel panic the system..

if USB sound is attached, but no song playing, it will transfer a file successfully.

Install the USB driver from the install disc. I don't know if there is a USB driver in the JaS disc but there is a USB driver in the Uphuck 1.4iR3 disc.

You could also try installing this driver, but its way more complicated to install:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nb4s7e

Download link at the bottom of the page. Sometimes a Free Servers Full message comes so you wait 60 seconds and it lets you download. The instructions are included in the ZIP file. It looks hard to compile and install though. It would be easier to install the driver on the Install DVD

Just install the driver OK...Why do you think that they would provide a driver on the disc if the built-in OS X driver worked for everyone? I had to install the driver for USB to work properly on my computer. Install the driver, its not hard. Just boot from the DVD, go through to the install options screen, select ONLY the USB driver and NOTHING else.

Just install the driver OK...Why do you think that they would provide a driver on the disc if the built-in OS X driver worked for everyone? I had to install the driver for USB to work properly on my computer. Install the driver, its not hard. Just boot from the DVD, go through to the install options screen, select ONLY the USB driver and NOTHING else.

yea, i did it, but it still does it..

btw, my JaS didn't have this on the DVD..

EDIT: Firewire does it too. If I use a Firewire sound device and try large file transfers, it also will panic (panics quicker too)...

EDIT2: I know why it didn't work now. Because all my USB devices are OHCI, not EHCI, I don't have any USB 2.0 device connected. High speed transfers are via the NIC, which is a Mac compatible card to begin with, a D-Link 530TX C1 (says on the box too, that it's Mac compatible)..

Try installing the driver from the Uphuck DVD. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure its a driver problem. Was there any drivers that came with your USB/FireWire hardware? Check on the manufacturers site for a driver too.

Both firewire and USB card are both "made for Mac", with the Firewire I think being a Sonnet, and the USB one having an NEC USB2 chipset...

I'll try to download the uphuck DVD later when im not on a college computer.

Yeah...Are there any drivers for your USB/FireWire hardware that CAME with the hardware on a CD or something OR can you download Mac OS X drivers for your hardware from the manufacturers website??

manual for both state that there are no drivers required, and will be detected automatically..

only the USB card has drivers on a CD, but is only for Windows XP. The manual states that no Mac drivers are needed.

What I'd suggest now: Try installing the Uphuck USB driver when you've downloaded the DVD. If that doesn't fix the problems, its a problem with your kernel. What is the kernel version you have now? I'm guessing its the Semthex 8.8.1 which comes installed default with JaS 10.4.8...

Anyway, download the IRC client Colloquy for Mac OS X, Detials:

Address: irc.osx86.hu

Chatroom: #kernel

Once you've logged into the chatroom, type this in:

!kernel

Then, a computer user called KernelBot will log in and give you links to the latest kernels. Download the 10.4.8 SSE2 kernel or the 10.4.8 SSE3 kernel (Depends whether the CPU supports SSE2 and/or SSE3)

thanks, i might end up needing help on the installation..

I was getting kernel panics as well on a different motherboard. I have an old Dell GX270 for which I put a 3.4 Ghz P4 (prescott)

Well for months I could not get it to work without randomly going into kernel panic. Especially when I was doing anything like a file copy, network xfer, or data xfer from a usb or firewire.

Finally I realized it was the hyperthreading. I ran it for over a week straight without one kernel panic.

I am not familiar with the Pentium D or the bios but can you disable the cores? Is there possibly something in this generation of the Pentium class that the kernel does not like? P4 and PD have more in common than the current generation of CoreX series am I correct?

Just posting what i can.

Yeah, Pentium D is just 2 Pentium 4 cores combined into one CPU. I installed Uphuck with the 8.9.1 kernel and it was really unstable, random kernel panics, slow boot, hangs, etc. I then reverted back to an old Semthex 8.8.1 kernel from 10.4.8 which made the OS a lot more stable, but even now, it isn't perfect. I still get a lockup or a reboot once in a while.

interesting about the hyperthreading.. i have a Northwood..

thing is, even with HT disabled, it hangs right at boot still with the text-panic I posted. I think the boot panic is related to my file transfer panic, because it all has to do with the USB/Firewire... (firewire only panics when doing anything over 20mbps..)

UPDATE:

I did some old school repair work on the motherboard. I used an in-circuit capacitor testor, and two DC filtering electrolytics going to the northbridge were way out of tollerance.

replaced it, and so far no crash. I did try Linux and Windows before and there were just lockups, no BSOD or panics (for their respective OS), I didn't even think of hardware which I should have.

Sad though, onboard USB still doesn't work...

I'm right now playing iTunes via network, listening to Technologic, and doing a file transfer from the HD to burner, AND getting VMWare off my other computer via the network. No panic. (knock on wood)