Can my laptop run OSX?

mikesena

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A50, which has SSe2 (i think you call it), don't know about sse3; its not listed so i think not. Here are my specifications: Satellite A50

I actually have 1gb of ram, not the 256.

I would like to run osx 10.4.5. Would I be able to do it?

I want to be able to use my iPod, so USB needs to work, i have a wireless mouse, which comes with mac drivers, i don't need to have wireless (but it would be nice) as i have a cable, and I need to have sound. 3D effects etc. are not important.

Thanks,

Michael

It should work but you never know exactly until you try :thumbsup_anim:

Two ISOs you could use:

JaS 10.4.8 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 + PPF2

Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 Universal DVD

For JaS, make sure you check the Intel kexts option during installation and for the uphuck, make sure to check the Intel SSE2 option.

Good luck :thumbsup_anim:

If you have any more problems, feel free to post back

pcwiz

I asked my mate and he said he got something called a 10.4.5 universal installer that works with sse2 and apparantly intel too. Will that be ok?I personally am very familiar with linux, and am willing to try osx anyway, I would just like an idea into any difficulties i might have.Furthermore, what is the best way to transfer all my files into the new system?Currently, I have a 10gb and 3gb ext3 partition, which stores some of my files (logical not primary). what would be the best way to transfer all files into the mac, is there a way to read ext3 drives, or to convert to mac drives lateR?i.e.here is what i'm asking1. install osx, replacing my current partition, but keeping these two extras.2. transfer all files to osx partition.3. repartition the ext3 partitions (the 10gb and 3gb) into mac ones (whatever they are called)4. transfer files back.can that be done?also, i am able to completely install osx right, not have it running in virtualisation.just making sure of this

What is the exact name of the 10.4.5 universal installer? Is it the Myzar ISO? If your friend just has te normal unmodified mac DVDs, then they won't work. You need a hacked ISO. Firstly, to install OS X on a partition, you will have to format the partition first in the FAT32 format. Then, later you can go into Disk Utility and partition it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Thats a lot to read...lets just take this one step at a time.

And yes, you will be fully able to run OS X without virtualisation.

I don't know if its hacked, he didn't say anything about that.

On asking again, he said it was an iso he 'obtained', the name being:

mac.osx.10.4.5.universal.install.dvd(intel:amd:sse3:sse2).iso

is that ok?

and won't the mac setup utility do the formatting automatically

It doesn't seem to be hacked, so it won't work. Download the Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4iR3 DVD from Demonoid or something. The Mac Setup Utility won't automatically do the formatting. You have to use Disk Utility which is included in the installer DVD to partition and format your drive/partitions.

Don't worry about partitioning and formatting, its not hard.

that's what I would have thought, but I have started a download of uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r2.iso.zip, so if this is wrong let me know. My mate is still going to give me the other one and we'll see.

what's the difference between r2 and r3 (see filenames)

Yeah, try the Uphuck 1.4R2 and then you could also try your friends copy. The only reason I said that the ISO didn't look hacked was because normally, the name of the creator of the ISO would be in the name (Myzar, JaS, Uphuck, Kalyway, etc.). If it is a hacked ISO, then I think your friend may be talking about the Myzar 10.4.5 ISO. I still think you'd be best off with the Uphuck R2 because any ISO currently older than 10.4.7 isn't the best choice for a fresh install on your system.

The difference between R2 and R3 is that R2 is revision 2 and R3 is revision 3. Revision 3 may have updated versions of software, bug fixes, etc. The main differences between R2 and R3 according to torrent sites is that there have been Rosetta bug fixes and a minor speed increase. R2 is OK but while you were at it, you could have downloaded R3 because both are the same size.

pcwiz