osx86 installation size

platinum

10 posts in this topic

i am going to get an asus eee, and knowing that the cheapest one has upgradeable ram, the only obstacle is this: storage space.

the cheapest model has 2gb of flash hard drive space. can osx86 be configured to install to that?

i read somewhere that a guy managed to install osx86 to a 2gb usb flash drive. i don't need dashboard or languages or printer drivers or whatever. on the myzar 10.4.6 disc i have, i can reduce the size to 2.4gb with only the essential checkbox checked.

how do i configure the osx86 install size even further?

when i installed it, it took me about 4,5 Gb... I suggest you have at least 10 Gb of space available, since Mac apps tend to be really big, if you compare with their Windows counterparts (although I don't know exactly why).

Strange--the Mac apps I've used so far have always been smaller, not larger.

• 1 month later...

well, folks, i have almost enough to get one (started a savings budget for one) :),

and i am going to get the 4gb model. osx will fit on it, and i have an 8gb SDHC card for storage.

say hello, to the mac mini mini mini! :)

after several days of research, i have concluded that it simply won't fit on 2gb.

what i plan to do is partition the 8gb sdhc in two: a 1GB swap, and the rest for storage and programs.

it'll be a good day when it happens!

I think you're going to find out that while in theory, your plan sounds good, there are a lot of good apple programs that will only install on the system disk. Unless you only want to investigate how OSX works before expanding, I'd say you're going to be very disappointed with your results.