Wireless card not detected, switch broken

Achilleus

18 posts in this topic

For some reason the switch to my wireless doesn't want to work in OS X. Works just fine in Vista. I have an Acer Aspire 3680. I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything except going in to vista, turning it on, and then booting back in to OS X. Tried that and it doesn't work for me :whistle: My install works great other then this one problem. It would be great to be able to use the internet in OS X :P

All my info is in my signature now :) In all the searching I did last night, there were 3-4 other people I noticed that had the same model of laptop as I do. If I can get everything working, I'll be sure to post a guide for it.

I like to try to help too, but the info you give as "All my info" is VERY cryptic. Perhaps we can find out more by researching just what an "Acer Aspire 3680" is, but that is a lot to ask of a potential good samaritan.

Further, if you have OSX running you almost certainly have more info than Acer provides.

Questions:

1) In general, Broadcom does not sell adapters under their own name. Acer says your machine has: "Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi certified solution supports Acer SignalUp wireless technology".

Is that what you have determined to be a "Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter", or do you have something plugged into your PC card slot ??

2 In OSX, do you have anything listed under "Network" in Apple System Profiler ?

3) Running Duddie's DPCI Manager 02 <http://duddie.kazzuya.com/proj/> may give you more info about how your hardware shows up in OSX.

G ;)

If you have a Broadcom 4311 in a mini PCI-Express slot you are out of luck for now. None of us have figured how to get it working which is extremely messed up since it is the exact same chipset as an actual airport.

Are you talking about a specific model of laptop that is having this trouble, or the card in general, because I can tell you for certain that my Broadcom 4311 mini PCI-E is working fine. If you are wondering how, check out the first post in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...oadcom+wireless

I only had to start at step 11 because I already had it being partially recognized.

Are you talking about a specific model of laptop that is having this trouble, or the card in general, because I can tell you for certain that my Broadcom 4311 mini PCI-E is working fine. If you are wondering how, check out the first post in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...oadcom+wireless

I only had to start at step 11 because I already had it being partially recognized.

Bluedragon,

I have two questions for you...

1. Are you sure this is a mini PCI EXPRESS card?

2. Are you sure the actual model number is 4311 (pci14e4,4311)

I have seen the thead you referenced and many of us have tried that with no luck whatsoever. Please see the following threads regarding our discussion of trying to get the mini PCI-E 4311 card working.

Questions for a Guru

Wifikillswitch fix

Bluedragon,

I have two questions for you...

1. Are you sure this is a mini PCI EXPRESS card?

2. Are you sure the actual model number is 4311 (pci14e4,4311)

I have seen the thead you referenced and many of us have tried that with no luck whatsoever. Please see the following threads regarding our discussion of trying to get the mini PCI-E 4311 card working.

Questions for a Guru

Wifikillswitch fix

1. Yes, I'm certain it is mini PCI-E

2. Yes, I'm certain of the model number of the card

While many of you seem to have problems using this type of card, many others do not, so please don't go around saying that on one has gotten it working, because that is absolutely not true. Read through this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=0&p=339537

Several of us have successfully bypassed the whitelist in the HP Pavilion dv6000 and dv9000 series laptops so we could replace the Intel 3945 wireless cards with one that works with OS X (specifically, most of us are using the Dell 1390 card, which is mini PCI-E, such as these: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...amp;category0=).

Below is a picture of the device details for this card (in Windows Vista, sorry, I am not booted up in OS X at the moment - edit: Now a pic in OS X as well):

post-6620-1188999156_thumb.jpg

post-6620-1189000391_thumb.jpg

Well Bluedragon, I do apologize, but we have had these threads going for many weeks now, and no one has said they had a 4311 working on a mini-PCI Express interface, so as far as I did know, no one had it working.

I would absolutely love to know what the core difference is between those with a working 4311 and those of us who can not get it to work. The current working theory has been the mini PCI Express slot was not being properly activated at boot.

Well Bluedragon, I do apologize, but we have had these threads going for many weeks now, and no one has said they had a 4311 working on a mini-PCI Express interface, so as far as I did know, no one had it working.

I would absolutely love to know what the core difference is between those with a working 4311 and those of us who can not get it to work. The current working theory has been the mini PCI Express slot was not being properly activated at boot.

If you notice, the threads I linked to have been going on for quite some time as well. I guess the people in your threads just haven't bothered reading the threads I linked to, and vice versa, so the exchange of information hadn't happened before now. It seems from reading your threads that the problem is only with certain models of laptops, as no one that I've seen has had trouble getting these cards working in the HP dv6000/dv9000 series laptops once the whitelist is bypassed. I did notice that some people in those threads did report that the cards were working. There MUST be some hardware difference in the way the mini PCI-E slots are accessed in the laptops that are having trouble (a different chipset perhaps?), but the cards themselves work.

What chipset is used in the Acer and Compaq models that are having trouble (as it seems that those are the primary ones that have trouble with this type of card)? I find it odd that HP laptops would use significantly different hardware than Compaq ones, being that they are part of the same company. The HP laptops in question also have the kill switch on the front, along with an LED to indicate status. The switch seems to work in OS X although the LED does not.

Sorry I haven't posted back yet, I've been kind of busy. And drinking lots of tequilla last night xD Hardware has never been my specialty lol.

@guilliamo

I downloaded that software, I'm about to run it in osx right after I post this and I'll hopefully be able to put more detailed information. All the information I got was straight from the device manager, the wireless is integrated. I have no clue if it's actually PCI-E or not. Acer is not the most helpful company in the world :) I'm not using anything in the PCMCIA slots(I don't know what the new kinds are called). I looked over that thread you posted and it doesn't look like at first glance it applies to this model :unsure:

@i've scene enough

I'm using the 1.4i uphuck 1.4.9? :unsure: I'll try that switch idea once I reboot in to os x to do what guilliamo suggested.

@everybody

I don't mean to seem like I'm being unhelpful, I just don't know all that much about hardware. Not compared to all of you anyways haha. I think I could learn a lot from this site, I'd love to help out however I can. Actually, I might be able to help out with a simple suggestion: use SMF instead of IPB. I've noticed the search functions on this software are terrible and pay no attention to relevance, and I'm never able to get any advanced search queries to work. I've searched and searched but since it doesn't sort according to relevance, it pulls up many pages and it's just difficult and time consuming to go over all these posts that have nothing to do with my search query. The quotes for an advance query don't work for me =\

I'm very familar with SMF as I'm on the documentation team over there, and I've been using SMF for all my sites since YaBBSE turned in to SMF. It's free, open source, and the most secure forum software there is. They've got converters that work very well so you don't lose all this great information too, I've used many of them and converted many different boards in to SMF.

Well, I don't want to seem like I'm advertising or anything, I was just making a suggestion :) Oh yeah, the URL is http://www.simplemachines.org/

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me and I hope I can give back to the osx86 project once I learn more about this stuff. I should probably figure out how to get one or two laptops actually working first before I try to help anybody else though haha xD

I'll post back after I boot up in to osx and try that trick and run that program. :)

--update 1--

Alright, just got done on OSX. I'm uploading the .tiff image of the window for that utility. The switch trick(holding it down) didn't work at all. No LED and the system profiler didn't show it as an airport card. I'm guessing system profiler is like the device manager for windows, I don't really know where else I could look. I'm brand new at osx lol.

I'm gonna search around some more to see if I can find anything that would help fix this problem but if you guys have any ideas I'll definitely look at them biggrin.gif Again, thanks for the help.

--update 2--

Ahhh my post dissapeared! Bleh, well I've found this post here that tells me to tape two pins on my card to get it to work. It's just regular mini pci so this should apply to my hardware, but I'd really rather not take apart my laptop lol. Every time I take apart any laptops I always seem to end up with extra screws haha. I couldn't find anything else, though I haven't tried the wiki yet. I really don't want to take this thing apart lol.

I have one more question though, because my ethernet is mini pci-e does that mean it won't work?

It's just regular mini pci so this should apply to my hardware, but I'd really rather not take apart my laptop lol. Every time I take apart any laptops I always seem to end up with extra screws haha. I couldn't find anything else, though I haven't tried the wiki yet. I really don't want to take this thing apart lol.

I'm not sure about your laptop in particular, but many have the wireless card in an easy to access spot (in mine, it is under the same cover as the RAM). You might want to check that. If it's mini PCI-E, then the card will be about 1"x1.5" with one or two wires coming off of it. If it's larger than that, it's probably mini PCI.

I'm not sure about your laptop in particular, but many have the wireless card in an easy to access spot (in mine, it is under the same cover as the RAM). You might want to check that. If it's mini PCI-E, then the card will be about 1"x1.5" with one or two wires coming off of it. If it's larger than that, it's probably mini PCI.

Alright well I tried the pin 11 and 13 trick, booted up in to veesta, and the wireless completely didn't work. Booted in to OSX and same thing. I moved the peice of tape over so it was covering 13 and 15, and now the internet works here on veesta but not in osx.

I don't think this pin trick will work, unless I'm doing the wrong pins? I doubt it though, as they are labeled at each side and right before the notch lol. Thankfully the card is VERY easy to get to and I can try some other pins too, I think I'll try pin 20 next even though it's not PCI-E.

--update--

Just noticed the size thing--and it's the same size you mentioned for PCI-E, despite the fact that the program I ran said it was just regular PCI. I'm definitely going to try the pin 20 tape, do I need to change any kexts also?

--update 2--

:o

The pin 20 trick worked! That program was wrong haha. On winblows, my switch will not turn off the wireless. Since OSX didn't recognize the card, I'm assuming I have to edit a kext to get it working correctly. I'm gonna try that and be back to update the progress. Bleh, I hate editing kexts--every time I've done it so far, I ALWAYS get a kernel panic and have to reinstall :P Good thing it only takes 10 mins to reinstall haha.

--probably final update--

Bleh, looks like I got the same problem that errandwolfe stated.

• 4 weeks later...

hola no pùedo hacer que mi notebook compaq presario c500 acepte wifi broadcom 4311 , la luz no prende tengo que reboot a xp y volver a entrar a Osx para que permanezca prendida , sin embargo no reconoce como airport y no tengo internet hice todo lo que dice en los post pero no hay caso , no tiene solucion. probe con todas las versiones de tiger , saludos