Which motherboard, Bad Axe 2 or Asus P5W DH Deluxe?

7 posts in this topic

I haven't had ANY luck posting in this forum but I figure I'll give it one more shot. I started with my quad core CPU running on an nForce 680i motherboard. I loved the 680i, it was blazing fast, rock solid and overclocked like a champ. The board sucked for OSX though; couldn't get the disk controllers working. I ditched the nForce and bought an intel 975xbx2kr. Everything works really well with OS X but this board sucks with my memory. Every time I try to set my memory timings and voltage, the BIOS doesn't save it and it goes back to being way too loose timings and under-volted. I figured my RAM, Crucual Ballistix, would work on any board.

Anyway. I've decided I either need to try and RMA this motherboard because it's bad and try another Bad Axe 2, or send it back and replace it with an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. How does the P5W compare for ease of installation for OSX and hardware compatibility? One of the things I loved about the 975xbx2 was that I only needed a graphics driver and audio driver from the forums to get it to work, everything else was peachy.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hey,

I just finished my Bad Axe 2 setup. I noticed that my memory settings were a bit loose, but I flashed to the latest bios. It still showed the same auto settings. I changed them to what I wanted and it saved for me. I would try a flash next.

P.S. One question.... What process did you use to get all of the audio working? I got line out only.

Thanks!

I don't know much about the bad axe 2 with OSX86 but I do know that the P5W DH Deluxe works almost flawlessly. I vote for that bud.

Yes it does, I got one and it's a really good board.

But why not choosing a P35 based one ? 975 chipsets can't overclock like hell

Hey,

I just finished my Bad Axe 2 setup. I noticed that my memory settings were a bit loose, but I flashed to the latest bios. It still showed the same auto settings. I changed them to what I wanted and it saved for me. I would try a flash next.

P.S. One question.... What process did you use to get all of the audio working? I got line out only.

Thanks!

Hey Will, I just used the AppleHDA Patcher 1.16 with STAC9274D_83847621.txt. I've got speaker out, S/PDIF out and Mic in.

Hi, did you actually try out your mic? On mine and most others I've seen, it looks like the mic will work because it's not grayed out but when you plug the mic in, it doesn't find it. I've tried with 1.15 and 1.16 with the same results. Would you let me know? ThanksHi, did you actually try out your mic? On mine and most others I've seen, it looks like the mic will work because it's not grayed out but when you plug the mic in, it doesn't find it. I've tried with 1.15 and 1.16 with the same results. Would you let me know? Thanks

Thanks a ton! I could have sworn that I already added that .txt file, but it must have been the wrong one. The first time I tried it, it told my it found an invalid codec and didn't install. I may have gotten the wrong file before. I haven't tried the mic out, but it does come up in the sound settings like it should work. When I dig out my mic and try it out, I'll post the results. Hope I'm not Hi-Jackin' your post. Maybe this can help others who are looking at the Bad Axe 2 though... Well, off to see if I can get my Netgear usb WG121 to work, and my iHack will be complete. Thanks again for the help. B.T.W. I got my BX2 refurb'd from MWave.com. It came with retail box, books, and all accessories. I actually couldn't tell it from a retail version. And for $99!!!I forgot to mention about your memory settings not saving. I was trying to recreate your problem on my bios. When I am changing a setting, if I hit 'esc' to get out of the edit field mode so I can go to another menu setting - it will not save my settings either. Once I make the change (let's say I up the voltage to the memory), hit 'enter' to accept the change and get back to the menu. This works to save the setting for me. Never hit 'esc' to finish your edit in the bios. Also; when you have finished all of the changes that you are going to make, don't hit 'esc' to get out of the bios. Most bios that I've seen, you can 'esc' out of the bios and it will ask to 'save & exit'. The only way to save on this bios is to actually go to the last menu on the right and choose 'save & exit'. This may be elementary stuff, but it's all I can come up with at the moment.