Anyone get a Realtek 8187 wireless chipset working?

bonestonne

20 posts in this topic

Ok, so being the idiot i am, i went out and bought a Netgear USB wireless adapter. after doing some slightly relieving googling, i found out its actually got the same chipset as Realtek, so in theory the Realtek 8187 driver should work with it, however on my Intel based Hackintosh, i get nowhere with it. I'm not about to return it, it works great in windows and linux [yes, it works quite well in linux] however not OSx86 [or in general intel based Mac].

if anyone has a suggestion i'd be glad to hear. i emailed Netgear asking if they had any future plans on coding Intel based Mac drivers, however so far i've gotten nothing out of them. i'm off to bed now, but will check back in the morning. hopefully someone can help.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bonestonne,

Maybe I'm too late but there is only one driver available with the Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility (included in the instalation pack). Read this page or download it here.

I use it with no problem at all on my hackintosh.

Hope it will help you and please report if it doesn't work. :(

Lekany.

• 2 months later...

I can't seem to get these drivers working, I'm running the Kalyway Leopard DVD image, and I've tried both model numbers, mine is the Realtek rtl8187. I think I may have come up with a solution, but it seems farfetched, could and would it be possible to port Ndiswrapper to OS X? I know it works 110% in linux, but it'd be wonderful in OS X86 to help out with problems like this.

Thanks,

Damien

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have the same problem, and thought I'd let you know I emailed Realtek about it. They said they'd have Leopard compatable drivers up at the end of febuary. Hope that helps! BTW, AFAIK, there are two versions of the 8187, L and B. The email was regarding the B version, but I dont see why it wouldnt work with the L version.

• 2 weeks later...

What device are you guys using? Because I'm also having issues with RTL8187 drivers for my Afla USB adapter on my MBP Leopard 10.5.2. I am able to install it, but I can't seem to maintain a connection. After I browse a few sites, it hangs then the internet connection seems to be clogged. I say clogged because the status still says its connected and it only seems to stop working after I browse a few sites.

I'm curious to see if the Leopard compatible version will work for me. Could you post any updates for this driver Jotoku when you get them?

Thanks!

E

Just checked realtek's site, and apparently them new drivers are up. I havent had a chance to test them out yet(stupid job requiring ms product with no mac equilelent....) but I dont see why it wouldnt. I would put a link, but I already did, and I just now relized it went to a blank page and removed it

EDIT: I just tried it, and unfortenetly I'm getting the same thing I did with the older driver: takes a long time to launch, locks up before finishing

New 10.5 drivers works fine here with a Netgear WG111 wireless USB dongle. Even autoconnect at startup

Are you talking about Realtek's driver or one on netgear's site? If realtek, could you describe EXACTLY how you got it to work? I'm starting to pull my hair out with this driver, I just cant get it to work.

Are you talking about Realtek's driver or one on netgear's site? If realtek, could you describe EXACTLY how you got it to work? I'm starting to pull my hair out with this driver, I just cant get it to work.

There is a 8187B and 8187L driver on the realtek website. I tried both and the L driver worked for me. 9MB download, named Realtek_RTL8187_MacOS10.4_Driver_1309_UI1.5.1. The B driver, 1.5 megs, did not fire up the app properly, had to force quit. I used the uninstall.command in both the upgrade and uninstall of the B driver to make sure the previous driver was gone before installing the one that worked.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a 8187B and 8187L driver on the realtek website. I tried both and the L driver worked for me. 9MB download, named Realtek_RTL8187_MacOS10.4_Driver_1309_UI1.5.1. The B driver, 1.5 megs, did not fire up the app properly, had to force quit. I used the uninstall.command in both the upgrade and uninstall of the B driver to make sure the previous driver was gone before installing the one that worked.

I have the same issue - neither work - device never shows up in sysprefs

This works, but Leopard see this as an Ethernet connection, not Wireless/Airport connection.  

Configure it as an Ethernet connection and everything should work fine.

However, the downside is you have to turn off WPA/WEP security for the wireless to work.

• 2 weeks later...
hi! which drivers are you using to make a WG111 (v2) on leopard 10.5??

I have this one usb wireless but I'm not able to find drivers..

Im using the drivers from realtek (8187L) linked in this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=499373

they work fine in Tiger and leopard for me. Is not recognized as Airport, but works as ethernet conection.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the the 8187L driver but system will not recognize device at all (Netgear wg111 usb adaptor). Any suggestions?

*Got it working. Seems my system didn't like the L drivers, but the B drivers in stead.*

• 5 months later...

I'd just like to chip in here (so to speak) and mention that I have *finally* got my no-name Realtek 8187-based USB dongle going (on Leopard) with the 8187L drivers from Realtek's site. The 8187B drivers did not work.

Performance is absolutely dreadful however - about 130 kbit/sec reading files from a Windows machine acting as a file server. Anybody have any idea why that might be? I suspect it's that cheap, no-name dongle...

• 6 months later...
I'd just like to chip in here (so to speak) and mention that I have *finally* got my no-name Realtek 8187-based USB dongle going (on Leopard) with the 8187L drivers from Realtek's site. The 8187B drivers did not work.

Performance is absolutely dreadful however - about 130 kbit/sec reading files from a Windows machine acting as a file server. Anybody have any idea why that might be? I suspect it's that cheap, no-name dongle...

Can you still use either WEP or WPA? Is the following what you have?

http://www.meritline.com/ieee-802-11g-wire...---p-26398.aspx

Thank you in advance.

I don't know if you solved it out (no time to read all post) but myself i've find some other places this fix.

For realtek RTL8187B download the driver from realtek (don't mind it says it's usb)

Install then.. in terminal go to /System/Library/Extensions and look for RTL8187 kext. see Content and nano Info.plist.

Find the string 33161 near bottom and replace it with 33175.

Restart, enable the new interface from System pref. and look for Realtek wifi manager inside Application folder.

Open, set and enjoy. Work on wep 128. No wpa.

Cheers.