Which Nvidia GPU is Better?

3 posts in this topic

Hey I wanted to ask which GPU is better a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 PCI or Geforce 6200 OC PCI both are 256MB. I have both of these cards and for some reason i read that the Geforce 6200 OC was the fastest PCI card on the market cause i dont have a PCIe slot in my second PC, but for some reason my Geforce FX 5500 Performs better in Mac OS X in some areas. Im running my monitor at 1680x1050 and i have Quartz Extreme and Core Image on both without having to modify anything which is great. My Geforce FX 5500 Opens Dashboard smoother and Front Row smoother but lacks quality like the ripple effect is not smooth at all but on my Geforce 6200 OC its the very opposite it opens Dashboard but its kinda Choppy and Front Row is kinda choppy as well but the ripple effect is very smooth. The new iPhoto 08 when opening a picture the new zoom into the picture transition the add is slow on my FX 5500 but is really fast on my Geforce 6200 OC. Could it be the fact that i havnt updated my Titian and Natit drivers since the 10.4.8 Jas DVD? or would disabling Beam Sync help improve the speed? Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. Thanx

I have a GeForce 6200 OC 256mb AGP card (but it runs at PCI speed), and I have a similar setup as you. Disabling beamsync speeds EVERYTHING up significantly, and I would HIGHLY recommend it. Made all the difference for me. I would also recommend updating Titan and Natit-- the one included with the JaS 10.4.8 is outdated.

My dashboard "ripple effect" is pretty smooth, and the "zoom" in iPhoto '08 is really fast. With beamsync disabled, Front Row runs flawlessly and dashboard zooms perfectly (after opening it for the first time-- the first dashboard "zoom" is always a bit choppy, but that's because all of the mini-apps are loading).