Help needed to fix an osx install.

Dougmwpsu

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So i've been playing with my osx install for the past few days getting everything tuned how i like it, and i encountered a bit of a snag.

i'd had osx installed on the first partition of one of my drives, but the partition was too small, so i was going though steps to move the system to a larger disk.

i cleared my second partition of data, then, since osx wouldn't let me reformat a volume on a drive that contained the system volume, i went into the osx86 install cd and used that disk utility to format the ntfs volume and then rebooted. i also created a image backup of my system volume.

on reboot i received a com.apple.boot.plist not found error.

I assume that this is because somehow disk utility either deleted the file, or it chances which partition was set as active.

is there any way i can fix this error without having to repeat days of work?

p.s. i tried to search, but every topic i found was about borked install cd issues.

thanks all.

the system is probably trying to boot off of the new partition you created, try pressing f8 at the boot menu and see what disks are available, and select the right one, if not, then... if your computer has an option that says "press <key> for boot menu" then press that key and select the hard drive in which OS X is installed. if that doesn't work, then try booting off the CD and press f8 when the darwin loader comes up, then type this in "boot:"

rd=disk0s1

change the "0" to what ever hard drive you have it in, if it's the primary master, then it's 0, if it's slave then it's 1.... and so on... im hope im right in all of this and that i helped :)

It apprears as though my suspicions were correct, when i reformated the ntfs partition, disk utility set it to active. then, when the darwin boot loader was looking for the boot.plist to start osx, it couldn;t find it becuase it was looking in the wrong volume.

i copied over the system files to the second partition using the image function of disk utility. that made my system boot per normal into the 100 gig partition as opposed to the orrigional 7 giger.

can anyone supply more information about setting up your darwin bootloader and choosing your active partition? how do i switch back to the 7 gig system? how do i take the disk image i created and recover my computer later from a cold reformat?

to recover your computer later there is an option in disk utility to recover from an image.... it will prompt you for the location of the image file, and as for your active partition... darwin should detect the partitions and allow you to choose which one to boot from, otherwise you could try the step i said with the rd=disk0s1, or remove the hard drive which you dont want to boot from and it will boot from the only available partition... are you using 2 hard drives, or 1 hard drive with 2 partitions?

Thanks superman, i got things working this time around, but that's good information for the next time i want to screw with my partitions. i was using 2 hard drives with two partitions each. I'm still deciding the best way to get the partition sizes to what i want them to be. Should i burn my 3 gig image to dvd, format the drive, partition it how i want, then use disk utility to restore the image to my prefered partition? once i restore the image, can i set it as primary through the darwin boot loader?