What do you use? Uphuck or JaS

Uphuck or JaS  

29 members have voted

1. 1. JaS or Uphuck

• JaS
    • Uphuck

5 posts in this topic

Personally I choose JaS.

And Actually I never tried Uphuck, but as far as I know you will have to do all the tweaks and patches yourself on both.

My recommendations: Private Message BJMoose. I read a post where he has said he has tried both. He should know.

Personally, for me, Uphuck has more drivers working out of the box, but fewer applications work right. My personal install is Jas 10.4.8 with PPF 1 & 2 (only video drivers and ATA drivers installed), updated to 10.4.9 with Koolkal's updates (including his kernel from May), then some of the drivers that I extracted from the Uphuck v1.4i rev 3 DVD. Works nearly perfect. I can't for the life of me get any 10.4.10 update to work without kernel panics though. One of these days I'm going to put together a custom DVD just for the hardware I have in this system (which every other Intel-based dv6000t owner will probably want).

I concur with bluedragon1971. I have used both and for me it isn't a matter of one better than the other. JaS works great on my system, I just have to do a lot more manual work to get things up and running. That way of doing things was fine while I was learning because it taught me a lot about how my system works. Uphuck's installers are a little more up to date with drivers that weren't available when JaS came out. Makes for a simple install with very few necessary tweaks. It's not better...it's just easier for me. Like BD1971, I hope to produce a single DVD installer just for the Bad Axe 2 with my equipment. Of course then there will be a 'J-uphuck-S' installer for Leopard (I hope) and we'll all be starting all over again.