Is this a Good Swap?

5 posts in this topic

Hi. Before I ask the person who owns if he'd like to swap it with my hackintosh, I'd like to ask for your advice. I believe his setup goes back to 2005.

This is his setup:

Apple PowerMac Dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 SuperDrive (M9747)

-2gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM,

-160 GB Serial ATA HDD System Drive

-200 GB Serial ATA HDD Data Drive

- SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW), ATI RADEON 9600 XT 128MB DDR

-Built-in Base-T 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 56K v.92 modem

20 inch Cinema Display

This is my hackintosh

3.37 Ghz C2D (overclocked Intel E4300)

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev. 1.0 motherboard

Palit 7900GS 256MB

Viewsonic 17" LCD

1GB Crucial

two 80 GB SATA

Creative 5.1 speakers

LG DVD writer

8-button Logitech mouse

BTC Ultra thin full-size keyboard, uses laptop keys (like the aluminum iMac's)

Would this be a good swap? Although I know some of my parts are many times faster but some of his PowerMacs' parts are better or larger. Please advice. Recommendations are welcome.

Hi. Before I ask the person who owns if he'd like to swap it with my hackintosh, I'd like to ask for your advice. I believe his setup goes back to 2005.

This is his setup:

Apple PowerMac Dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 SuperDrive (M9747)

-2gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM,

-160 GB Serial ATA HDD System Drive

-200 GB Serial ATA HDD Data Drive

- SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW), ATI RADEON 9600 XT 128MB DDR

-Built-in Base-T 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 56K v.92 modem

20 inch Cinema Display

This is my hackintosh

3.37 Ghz C2D (overclocked Intel E4300)

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev. 1.0 motherboard

Palit 7900GS 256MB

Viewsonic 17" LCD

1GB Crucial

two 80 GB SATA

Creative 5.1 speakers

LG DVD writer

8-button Logitech mouse

BTC Ultra thin full-size keyboard, uses laptop keys (like the aluminum iMac's)

Would this be a good swap? Although I know some of my parts are many times faster but some of his PowerMacs' parts are better or larger. Please advice. Recommendations are welcome.

IMO...no. but maybe that's becuase i've got an old 386 that runs solatire...wanna trade?

What is your main use for your computer?

If its 3D games, definitely not.

If it was me I think I would. More RAM, bigger screen, no hack update worrying.

(I don't think the speed difference would be appreciable for most stuff anyways, but really need to know what you use it for.)

Thanks for replying. I'm happy on how this hackintosh handles new games with very realistic graphics (DIRT, Doom 3, Quake 4, Lost Planet, etc.) but I'm laying low on games for now (windows and os x). I'm getting back into Maya for moderate to slightly heavy 3D modelling then moderate 3D animation and maybe light to moderate use of Photoshop- more to do with honing my skills (to make up for spending time on entertainment).

Btw, should I even include the 5.1 speakers. This hackintosh running 10.4.8 (Semthex) will only work with stereo (unless there's a new driver to make 5.1 work with this mobo. I have the 10.4.9 iso and 10.4.10 which I'm ready to upgrade to). His PowerMac doesn't have external speakers too, anyway.

Thanks for replying. I'm happy on how this hackintosh handles new games with very realistic graphics (DIRT, Doom 3, Quake 4, Lost Planet, etc.) but I'm laying low on games for now (windows and os x).

I bet the G5 handles those games OK anyways.

I'm getting back into Maya for moderate to slightly heavy 3D modelling then moderate 3D animation and maybe light to moderate use of Photoshop- more to do with honing my skills (to make up for spending time on entertainment).

Check the Maya site, but I beat that it takes advantage of the AltiVec extensions in the G5 hence with the increased memory would make a nice system for 3D rendering. I've done 3D CAD work in the past and don't under estimate the usefulness of the bigger screen also. (dual screens is even better)

Having said all that and re-evaluating my thoughts, I'd stick with the Hack.

I think I was originally tainted by my desire to get the new iMac. :D

The Hack gives you the most upgrade options and you can always upgrade memory, LCD, HD space if you find you need it.