$500 MacTel/Applon

5 posts in this topic

I'm wanting to build a 500-600 dollar MacTel or Applon most important thing is stability, im not as concerned as high end as much easy to build with as little techno hacking as possible.

id like a min. of

512/1gig of ram

at least a 2 ghrtz proc

256 video card,

lan

sound

hopefully if we can devise a good kit itll help others out as well

I'm wanting to build a 500-600 dollar MacTel or Applon most important thing is stability, im not as concerned as high end as much easy to build with as little techno hacking as possible.

id like a min. of

512/1gig of ram

at least a 2 ghrtz proc

256 video card,

lan

sound

hopefully if we can devise a good kit itll help others out as well

Mac Mini's $499. :(

well the mac mini can only go up to 1.47 proc and a gig of ram, and if you opt for the 100 gig HDD you are easily reaching the grand mark, not alot for your money, and thats what will kill apple when it goes to the intel processors, people will be alot more willing to shell out 300 every other year for a "disposable" windows comp than a 2000+ mac that will more than likely be outdated in just the same timeline, id rather see apple go strickly OS than a hardware company, because yes a mac does run more stable than a PC but its just not cost effective and never will be if they want to compete against windows

no as for the 500-600 mactel i want to do, you can easily get a better computer for the same cost as one from apple

Edited by vernie's garden

• 2 years later...

I too am attempting to put together a reasonably-priced Intel-based computer for my Mac OS, and have been informed that it is indeed workable, and that most hardware issues have been worked out --Will post specific results of my own experience asap...

However, my comment is mainly focused upon the viability and cost-effectiveness of the Mac Mini. Frankly, I had considered the Mini alternative, but found it to be untenable,given the limited applicability of such a system as a long-term solution to my own needs. That is, although it is indeed quite usable and affordable, the Mini [stock] would be more suited to those who simply dont use extended capabilities of a computer much, will not be gaming, or will not likely upgrade in future. The thing is, I am pretty frugal, and require upgradability to maximize cost-benefit over extended use. Right now, I am using a G4 Sawtooth that is about 10 years old. It has been upgraded several ways [processor/drives/SATA/VIDEO] to keep it going all these years, and I have always been pleased with its overall performance and cost-effectiveness. Who would have expected a computer to be usable after such a long life?

However, now it's time to upgrade hardware, in order to utilize newest features of 10.5, newer software, etc-- and its not really worth sinking more $$ into this G4. The many improvements in hardware over the past few years simply make my computer obsolete. I'm afraid that the 'Mini' would just not be serviceable for more than a short period, and would be limited in its expandability, &/or capability for upgrades. I don't want to be left in the dust in a year or so, with regard to new hardware improvements. Thus, its Mactel/Hackintosh time...

(Before reading the below post, understand that I have read a total of 15 words in this whole thread.)

I'd stay away from a Mac Mini because of the size -- while that's one of the selling points, you'll be hard pressed to play any "cool" games on its small on-board card. Go with a Hack, and maybe revive that old SSE2 P4 with some of the new bootloaders and kernels flying around.

GL!