Updating Jas 10.4.8 to 10.4.10

darthvader4_arg

15 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I want to update to OS 10.4.10 from the Jas installation I have (10.4.8)

Is there a way to do this without working extensively with kexts?

Will the update downloaded directly from Apple work?

Thank you very much!

system specifications are:

Asus P4VP-MX motherboard with:

-ViaRhine LAN

-AC97 Audio (Working great)

Celeron 1.7 (s478)-bus 400 -SSE2

1Gb RAM

PowerColor ATI 9600PRO - 256mb

you will need to upgrade to 10.4.9 to upgrade to 10.4.10

Whatever you do don't install the any OS upgrade direct from Apple that raises your OS X version number to the next release, that is unless you like reinstalling your system. Google a search on what upgrade you would like to go to and most time you will find a installer or procedure for installing the upgrade.

Upgrades like X11, iTunes, and Java most of the time are safe, but have your fingers crossed

As far as upgrading your system use the crappy search engine everyone refers you to in a useless attempt to get any info off this site. Most of the time I Google my Mac problems and it finds the answer on this site better than the sites own search engine.

Well, I screw it up!!!!!!!

I've downloaded the 10410update.zip archive and installed the intel package. Everything went fine till I reboot.

Big problem, It crashes after loading Darwine!!!

Please someone tell me how to save my installation!!

I have the kext backups in the partition I can't access, Is there a way to restore them?

Or if everything is lost forever, is there a way to recover some of the data from an xp partition??

Thanks again to everybody!!!!

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

one of the simplist CDs you'll ever use.

there are more complex types, such as Knoppix [or Damn Small Linux] however you need to mount the drives, and without a large UI to do it in, most people don't know how. Ubuntu is just a seemingly more familiar interface.

you wont be able to write to the drive at all, so don't jump ahead and think you'll be able to repair any files on the drive. i don't know any OS other than Apple that can write to HFS+. most linux kernels can read it, but writing is not possible. same way OS X cannot write to NTFS without complex workarounds, however its the same as for Linux.

just remember that you might not have full permissions on this drive. you might get to your user folder and not be able to get any further.

have you tried booting into Safe Mode? [holding down Shift during boot]

I've tried booting in safe mode pressing the shift key, but no change.

I've just burned the Ubuntu cd and boot the system using it, appearently it works, but I have no idea of what to do with it to retrieve my files. Should I install Ubuntu in order to get them or there's a way to access my mac partition from the boot menu?

Thanks!

Youre right this search engine is {censored}.

And i'm looking foward to Upgrade my 10.4.8 to 10.4.10 on my Toshiba Satellite a-100

I dont know how to do it. I dont know if there any packages to upgrades or if i have to reinstall the complete JAS 10.4.10 dvd...

And i would like to keep my kext intact since I got my soundcard and ethernet to work.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

I want to update to OS 10.4.10 from the Jas installation I have (10.4.8)

Is there a way to do this without working extensively with kexts?

Will the update downloaded directly from Apple work?

Did you try the Koolkal 10.4.10 updater? Worked for me.

I upgraded my machine from JaS 10.4.8 to PascalW 10.4.10 without fuss.

In using the Ubuntu LiveCD to recover files, you may have to obtain root privileges first.

The Home folder typically has access permissions set to owner or root only.

Goodluck.

Or the Delta 10.4.10 update (maybe it's the same thing?)-- also worked for me. JaS 10.4.8 upped to 10.4.10 with no problem. It automatically backs up your kexts in a folder on your hard disk as well.

Glad you're not having problems... but this can cause major problems unless you update to 10.4.9's Delta in-between.

Delta updates are only meant from going up one version point, for example, 10.4.9 to 10.4.10.

Basically, your system is missing any files that were updated in 10.4.9, but were not touched by the 10.4.10 update. This is why a Combo updater is necessary to properly update 10.4.8 to 10.4.10 directly.

I upgraded my machine from JaS 10.4.8 to PascalW 10.4.10 without fuss.

In using the Ubuntu LiveCD to recover files, you may have to obtain root privileges first.

The Home folder typically has access permissions set to owner or root only.

Goodluck.

Just to clarify...The 10410.zip Delta Updater, the Mac OS X 10.4.10 Delta Updater from torrent sites, and the PascaW updater are all the same thing. Try Koolkal.