OSX86 will not see my disk drives

Hal Mayes

4 posts in this topic

I am using a OSX86 10.4.4 install dvd. I can get to the install process, but when I get to the "Select Destination" area, no drives show up, not even my DVD drive. Does anyone know what the potential problem is? my mobo is MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR and I am using a seagate ST340014A hard drive (I think it is just IDE/ATA-100). I am currently downloading uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i_r2, because I've read that it has better hardware support, but this file is only 1.06 gig, can that be right? Any help would be appreciated.

| Hal

P.S. my install hangs on the grey apple logo screen for about 5-10 minutes before moving to the blue screen, I don't know if that helps anyone troubleshoot.

Assuming you are using the same release as I did...

After you get to the install prompt and everything is loaded, go to the Utilities tab on the bar located across the top of your screen. After that, go to Disk Utility. Wait for it to find your drives, then see if it finds anything. If it doesn't, that means it doesn't see your HD, which most likely means you're screwed. If it finds at least one drive, there's hope.

Get back to me on what drives and volumes show up, then I'll be willing to help you out if you don't know where to go from there yourself.

Wow. I can't believe I didn't see disk utility. That did the trick. I just erased the disk with Disk utility and everything installed fine. Now I have some drivers to find, but thats for a different forum altogether. Thanks a ton for your help £cho!