Mini-itx inside Mac Mini Casing?

21 posts in this topic

I've finally got the budget to build a hackintosh and was wondering if it is possible to purchase the mac mini case housing and put a Mini-itx (or smaller) board in it.

Anyone done something similar or have the dimensions which could help make this possible?

I suppose if it's out of the question I could just get a Mac Pro case, however I was hoping to have the smallest possible computer.

Additionally, anyone know where to find Mac housings on the internet?

Thanks as always, you all are alway so helpful!

I've finally got the budget to build a hackintosh and was wondering if it is possible to purchase the mac mini case housing and put a Mini-itx (or smaller) board in it.

Anyone done something similar or have the dimensions which could help make this possible?

I suppose if it's out of the question I could just get a Mac Pro case, however I was hoping to have the smallest possible computer.

Additionally, anyone know where to find Mac housings on the internet?

Thanks as always, you all are alway so helpful!

Cheaper to buy Mac Mini ;)

Similar PC assembled in mini-ITX case with same size will cost you $200 more .

But if you still wish, look at Aopen MiniPC barebone.

I guess it would be nearly impossible...

It is possible.

Aopen sell barebone with exact size of mac mini. Fist generation of this barebone had even case which looks exactly like mac-mini, but with their logo. I guess Apple lawers forced them to introduce some changes to the case.

You can find few more mini-ITX solutions for C2D.

But this kind of things, if you assemble them, will be not cheaper than mac mini. You have to pay for size. This is reason why mac mini costs $800, not $300.

It is possible.

Aopen sell barebone with exact size of mac mini. Fist generation of this barebone had even case which looks exactly like mac-mini, but with their logo. I guess Apple lawers forced them to introduce some changes to the case.

You can find few more mini-ITX solutions for C2D.

But this kind of things, if you assemble them, will be not cheaper than mac mini. You have to pay for size. This is reason why mac mini costs $800, not $300.

Technicaly possible... but as you said, there is no point cuz it would cost more than a real mac mini :-D

And the result wouldn't be as great as a mac mini...

BTW, do you know a 100% compatible mini-ITX board with osx86 ?

BTW, do you know a 100% compatible mini-ITX board with osx86 ?

If you ask for C2D board, there is almost no choice, 2-3 of them, I think. Graphics should be OK, Audio - 50/50, Wi-Fi/BT - almost for sure not.

It is really pointless to assemble this things.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This thread shall be re activated!!!! I am your savior!

2009 mac mini case 17cm in depth 17 cm width

top housing new £99

bottom housing new £22

PARTS

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/basket.html

this mobo is 12cm x 12 cm

you can also get 150w external psu with 24 pin adapter from mini itx .com for around £50

all for under £600

BAM!

I am doing this as soon as i finish my new mac pro2009 case mod ;)

• 4 months later...

I wouldjust like to point out my findings on this subject. I plan to do the samething, Build a Mini ITX system inside a Mac Mini (2011) case.

I foundsome interesting things from Asia.

Firstis this:

http://www.topfreebiz.com/product/3997388/Aluminium-Mac-Shape-Case.htm

Thiscompany in China seem to have done just what we are all talking about. It lookslike a clone mac mini (No apple Logo). It seems to be a full system. I haveemailed them asking for a price for the full system and the price for just thecase (no parts) and of course the dimensions of the case.

It saysthey have fitted a Mini ITX motherboard in the case, I am not sure if this caseis then larger than the real Mac mini case, but it looks good to me!

Then wehave this from eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Apple-Mini-Mac-PC-Computer-Intel-Desktop-Only-Case-/320749786405?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item4aae2d5525

I havespoken with the chap about this case; It seems this is a real Apple case andmade of aluminium. He gave me the case size or 19.5cm x 19.5cm x 3cm. It wouldseem that a Mini ITX motherboard could in fact fit in this? Mini ITX boards are17cm x17cm.

The thingthat worrys me is the rounded corners of the Mac Mini 2011 case.

What areyour thoughts on the above?

My buildwould be:

Mac Mini Case (2011)

Mini-ITX 250w external PSU kit (just like the mac mini)

Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics

4GB DDR3 Ram

2.5” 500Gb HDD

Max OS X Lion

Total would be about £300 -£350 (Mac Mini2011 is about £600)

The thingis..... The Mac Mini case is 3cm in height! There isn’t much would can fit inthere. I would need to get exact sizes from all the components together.....

• 1 month later...

Yes there has been some updates with my build. I got my Mac Mini unibody case (Brand New) not sure if its a real case or a clone but it sure looks VERY real (Serial Number, etc) I have a real Mac Mini and its exactly the same! I couldn’t find any difference. I have been doing some testing with lots of parts and now I have got the right combo for this build. I now have all my parts in

place.

This is what I will be putting inside the case: Toatl cost of build £251 - £270

Intel i5 CPU (Use onboard graphics) (about £70 ebay)

Intel DH61AG Low Profile Mini ITX Motherboard (Onboard power supply) This is mounted on the Mac Mini case with plastic stand offs glued to the case. ( About £90 amazon)

4GB DDR3 1333/1066 MHz (about £30 ebay)

640GB Hard Drive (£24 Ebay)

Low profile CPU cooler, I have one already from a graphics card, does the job

well! I am working on a few solutions for this) (Ebay parts for £9)

Mini PCI-e Apple Airport Card (fits well!) (ebay £12)

OS X 10.7 Lion (Well...... Freee as I have a copy already!)

Power adapter to power the whole thing! (Ebay £16)

Since I don’t have a camera I will show some photos from a build I am copying from a guy in china,

he posted his build ages ago in chiphell, Mine looks identical anyway to be honest but the photos are from his build.. More updates when my build is done.

Also a special heatsink might have to be made as I mentioned above Or I will have to work with the one I have, it seems to work fine anyway with low temps on testing at 37C.I have to get a special IO plate made for the back for build. And a small power button must be installed with this IO plate at the back (See photos). The plate will cost £10, and is to be made from a cad drawing and the power button is £0.90 and works from the motherboard just like any other power button.

post-431746-1320917617_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320917447_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320917699_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320917732_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320917754_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320917885_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918228_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918243_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918259_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918270_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918321_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918297_thumb.jpg

This is a second users build from chiphell, the same as mine but uses a Graphics GPU PCI card heatsink, I might do this..If the one I have fits ok and his Cad drawing. Same as mine.

post-431746-1320917664_thumb.jpg

post-431746-1320918352_thumb.jpg

New Mac Minis dont have dvd drives anymore. Apple wants rid of CD/DVD drives

I supose you could get a latop one in there somehow! There is room, The hard drive would have to be turned round the other way and the heatsink lowered more to get it in. It is possible! The space is there. A nice small bluray drive would do, would have to be a low profile one. They are pretty low profile anyway! I wont add one to mind as I have the new case without the cd slot.

In fact!!! There isnt room for one after all, I just measured one There have to be NO hard drive to fit it in. And there would need to be some kind of brackets to hold the drive in place. I supose this could be done......The hard drive could be placed at the back of the case but there would be no heatsink for the cpu then...... Things would run hot.

Unless we used something like this.

post-431746-1320934678_thumb.jpg

The end of it would go to the rear of the case. where the vents are.

New Mac Minis dont have dvd drives anymore. Apple wants rid of CD/DVD drives

I supose you could get a latop one in there somehow! There is room, The hard drive would have to be turned round the other way and the heatsink lowered more to get it in. It is possible! The space is there. A nice small bluray drive would do, would have to be a low profile one. They are pretty low profile anyway! I wont add one to mind as I have the new case without the cd slot.

In fact!!! There isnt room for one after all, I just measured one There have to be NO hard drive to fit it in. And there would need to be some kind of brackets to hold the drive in place. I supose this could be done......The hard drive could be placed at the back of the case but there would be no heatsink for the cpu then...... Things would run hot.

Unless we used something like this.

post-431746-1320934678_thumb.jpg

The end of it would go to the rear of the case. where the vents are.

What if I wanted to go down the older Mac Mini route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini

The Mac Minis were able to squeeze in an Optical Drive. So, is there no way to replicate it?

Both new & old mac mini can fit in a dvd drive, its how much you really want it i suppose. Space is limited! I will most likely fit a dvd drive in, just need to re arrange things a bit. The old mac mini wanst as wide as the new one so you prob won't get a mini motherboard in there at all!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LogicPro9,

I need your help on my hackintosh. I bought the parts what you have recommended and purchase the mac mini case from the same place where you bough it. The only thing I am having problem is getting the IO cover. Did you make the IO cover for your hakintosh yet?

thanks

My Setup

Intel i3 CPU

Intel DH61AG

4GB DDR3 1333/1066 MHz

500GB Hard Drive

Low profile CPU cooler

Mini PCI-e Apple Airport Card

• 10 months later...

Uou loving this topic! Rebump! Ehehe

I'm also interested in doing something like this. To have an hackintosh on a mac mini case would be really interesting!

I'm a web and type designer and i'm thinking on building one of these things! Since a long time is passed, cost-wise and power-wise... what do you think? I guess don't really need a lot of power since my core is web and type and there won't be games, 3d or whatever around that kind of process. Even If i need to open an image with 5 or 10gb (this really doesn't happen that often) I could do it on my laptop (Macbook Pro i7 with 8gb of RAM)!

For me I would go SSD with like 80gb, 160gb (wouldn't need more), between 4 and 8 gb of RAM, wifi of course... About the rest don't really know! What do you think?