Working RAID solutions

7 posts in this topic

Do you have a working RAID solution on your hackintosh?

We all know that the ICHx-RAID functions don't work and cannot work using Osx86. But there are several PCI and PCIe solutions for IDE and SATA RAID out there, like the RocketRAID cards that offer OSX functionallity on real macs.

What I want to do here is collect your experiences with these cards.

So please: tell us about your PCI(e) RAID controllers and their specific behaviours when trying to run Osx86.

Here is what I've found:The $999 card in the macpro is a 3Ware 9650SE-4LPM* (http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9650.asp )The 4LPML is identical, but the manufacturer doesn't specify if it's OSX compliant.The 4LPME works with OSX but for external HDDIt seems that Apple is selling a 4LPML with a modified firmware of the 3Ware 4LPME.Hope this will help to find a solution, I really want a RAID PCI-E card for my HDD !http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306231

What about the rocketraid 2310 ?

I've read that it was working out of the box, but still pretty expensive. Can't we boot on it ?

Edited by hackintom

It seems there is success with the Sillicon Image 3132 controller, and it's variants - cheap companies. I think you can get one for like 25$... Search this forum to find the thread with more information. Like you said there is also the RocketRaid option.. After that, from what I know you have to buy an expensive real hardware RAID like ARECA or 3WARE.

From a technical standpoint, I spent some time looking at how we could port existing Linux/Fbsd drivers for fakeRaid like our JMicron/ICHx etc... It would be very interesting to see what subclass these drivers implements. I know the SI3132 is using IOSCSIParallelInterfaceController, but what about the RocketRaid one? I searched the whole forum to find an ioreg of someone having these controllers without any luck... If anyone with either a Highpoint or SilliconImage card comes by this thread and see this, could you help this cause, by doing a quick "ioreg -l". :(

Does anyone know if it's possible to get RAID support for my ASUS P5VD1-X, VIA 8237R chipset I believe?

I finally got Hackintosh working again last night, using uphuck (horrible name!) on a PATA drive. I also have 2 SATA drives that are in RAID 0 for Windows XP and Vista. Whenever I boot OS X, it shows 2 dialog boxes that it can't read the drives. So it's seeing 2 individual SATA drives and not 1 RAID.

I guess it's progess that it at least has the driver for the SATA controller, right?