What are the latest thoughts on Leopard (BESIDES the GUI?)

dsc106

5 posts in this topic

I see a lot of complaint about the GUI. I suppose Apple will be working on and tweaking that.

I am wondering, for those running the beta... what do you think of Leopard functionality wise? How is timemachine, spaces, etc.?

How about overall speed & stability as compared to Tiger? Is it faster? More stable? Or has it gotten slower or more of a resource hog?

Do you think Leopard is a solid step forward overall, assuming the GUI issues get ironed out?

The drop shadows are too big for my taste, and the new contrast between non-selected and selected windows is too big as well. I much prefer the new GUI to the old, though, and it seems Leopard is ny new main OS (haven't booted Tiger since I installed Leopard). :unsure:

Edit: Uhm, beside the GUI. Well, the last sentence above says quite a bit IMO.

Stability is no doubt worse than Tiger at the moment, but it's a leaked beta, so...

When typing in Spotlight (I use it to search folder structures etc), the search box loses focus after a few letters, means you have to click it again. Annoying. Also, it doesn't save WHERE to search, I always want to search beneath the current folder but it always switches back to "Computer", Tiger didnt' do this.

The Airport menu extra causes massive CPU load, so you have to turn it off... Only you can't connect to a network without it, it's broken in the network prefpane.

I can't click the receive file-button in Adium (running 1.1b5), dunno if that's due to Adium or Leopard.

System Preferences sometimes locks up using 100% CPU. When I tried to change all .avi files to open using VLC, Finder just closed the window before I was done.

Quite a list! But I'm still not going back to Tiger, that should say something, shouldn't it? :unsure:

I can live with the above for the moment. Spotlight I don't use a lot. Airport is easy, just enable the menu extra, join a network and disable it again. I set Adium to auto-accept from my contact list, and VLC solved itself once I realized that it DID work despite the error message.

im sad to say but i dont like leopard all that much. im running a dual g5 2 ghz powermac. the dock is choppy, expose is choppy, even the new screensavers are a little choppy. text often seems blurry, especially in cover flow and when expose is activated. a few things are better, but some simple things took some major steps backwards, a tleast on my machine. nothing seems as responsive as tiger. its also gotten quite a big uglier in my opinion. too dark. too much black creeping in. i hope we see some major improvements...