GeForce 6600 support?

kess

9 posts in this topic

I used to have a Radeon 9500 and that worked well with some hacked ATI kexts, but I have a GeForce 6600 AGP now and I'm not sure how to get it to work. I don't think Titan supports something that old and I've had bad luck with Calypso's (I think that was the name) drivers. It recognizes the card but hasn't loaded any kexts. I'm still on JaS's 10.4.6 if that matters. Is there a way to get the 6600 working? Thanks.

Ack, really? What is the easiest way to go from JaS's 10.4.6 DVD to 10.4.8 or 10.4.9? I only have SSE2. Do I need to get a new 10.4.9 DVD and do a complete reinstall?

edit: If I wanted to do a complete reinstall, which version of uphuck's release should I get? There are so many and it's confusing. Since I have SSE2, do I need to install 10.4.8 first and then update to 10.4.9?

Ack, really? What is the easiest way to go from JaS's 10.4.6 DVD to 10.4.8 or 10.4.9? I only have SSE2. Do I need to get a new 10.4.9 DVD and do a complete reinstall?

edit: If I wanted to do a complete reinstall, which version of uphuck's release should I get? There are so many and it's confusing. Since I have SSE2, do I need to install 10.4.8 first and then update to 10.4.9?

What I did with my SSE2 Acer notebook hack was installing 10.4.7 and updated to 10.4.8 with one of the smaller JaS 10.4.8 update packages out there. JaS is pretty good and very compatible with SSE2 machines.

On my SSE3 machine I managed to update to 10.4.9 but my SSE2 Notebook is working in such good order that I do not want to risk ruining it.

What I did with my SSE2 Acer notebook hack was installing 10.4.7 and updated to 10.4.8 with one of the smaller JaS 10.4.8 update packages out there. JaS is pretty good and very compatible with SSE2 machines.

On my SSE3 machine I managed to update to 10.4.9 but my SSE2 Notebook is working in such good order that I do not want to risk ruining it.

Thanks, I may try that. Does 10.4.9 have bad compatibility with SSE2 processors? If I'm going to reinstall everything I want to get the latest version that works decently with SSE2.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it is possible to update from 10.4.6, 10.4.7 is supported by JaS DVD's there's even a JaS 10.4.8 update for 10.4.7 systems floating around. Get a JaS 10.4.8 install DVD, the Jas 10.4.9 SSE3 only update and a SSE2 10.4.9 kernel. They are out on IRC now. Before only SSE3 was supported on 10.4.9 kernels which made it necessary to use a 10.4.8 kernel with 10.4.9 system and that creates all sorts of errors and faults, like dmg images not being mounted anymore (which can be remedied btw). But now there are SSE2 kernels which make 10.4.9 a good option for SSE2 machines. The full install DVD's out there often offer the 8.8.1 kernel (10.4.8) when you choose to install 10.4.9 on a sse2 and that is a less compatible solution.

Thanks, I may try that. Does 10.4.9 have bad compatibility with SSE2 processors? If I'm going to reinstall everything I want to get the latest version that works decently with SSE2.

But I I managed to successfully update JaS 10.4.8 to JaS 10.4.9 with the "10.4.9 SSE3 only updater" on my SSE2 notebook by installing the update and then manually inserting one of the newer 10.4.9 SSE2 compatible kernels that can be found on the IRC. Works like a charm, just as compatible as the 10.4.8 installation.

Guides on how to manually insert a kernel can be found on the Wiki.

Nothing to it just open a terminal and make yourself root with sudo -s and then type cp mach_kernel / to copy the sse2 mach_kernel over the sse3 mach_kernel from the JaS update. The last part just makes it all work like a charm!

Right now I am looking into a proper SSE2 10.4.10 solution with my laptop. The Ati 9700 mobility stops working with QE and CI when I install Uphuck or another 10.4.10 DVD on my SSE2 machine. The JaS Ati kexts were patched for SSE2 compatibility and the Ati Kexts from other distro's probably aren't and that causes the 9700 to loose QE and CI.