Cyrillic subtitles on VLC

Данчо

12 posts in this topic

I mostly use VLC to play my movies, but now I came across a movie in a weird language and I need subtitles. The .sub file is in cyrillic, so the standard font would not appear. A standard fix for BS Player in Windows was changing the font encoding to cyrillic, but I don't see such options in VLC for Mac. Any ideas how to get this working..? Maybe i need a cyrillic font...?

bro,i`m using MPlayer OSX successfully with cyrillic encoding ...

because MPlayer have option to chose encoding,fonts (you can choose cyrillic) ...

good player,try it,it`s free ... :)

~R

i think that you must add some bulgarian cyrillic font to your Font Book,and than choose that font from MPlayer ...

it`s complicated indeed ... :wacko:

~R

got it, selected a different encoding: CP2150 instead of just cyrillic!

HOWEVER, fullscreen playback is slow and choppy on this player, i guess the 13" macbook can't handle it. Even worse on the 32" LCD... Have to watch in a window now :wacko:

The slow playback appears when I select "use second monitor", because otherwise it won't appear on the external display in fullscreen. I think it should work if I use the external LCD as a primary monitor (close the lid and wake up with remote).

• 5 weeks later...
got it, selected a different encoding: CP2150 instead of just cyrillic!

HOWEVER, fullscreen playback is slow and choppy on this player, i guess the 13" macbook can't handle it. Even worse on the 32" LCD... Have to watch in a window now ;)

VLC -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Subtitles -> Subtitles text encoding -> CP1251. This is for bulgarian subtitles. You need to select the proper encoding. The problem is that there are different encodings used among the same language. I think there is no need to install additional fonts in order to display them (or at least I haven't done so).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

actually, for the 0.8.6d version i'm using, the encodint options is under:

VLC -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Other Codecs -> Subtitles -> Subtitles text encoding

hope this helps anyone

• 7 months later...

This doesn't work for me...or may be I'm doing something wrong... Please advise!

I am trying to play cyrillic (Bulgarian) subtitles on VLC and I did everything you guys have discussed here and nothing seems to help. I have both the movie (.avi) and the subtitles (.idx) in the same folder. I changed the subtitles encoding to 1251 and yet, no subtitles seem to appear. I even tried this on a MPlayer and didn't work also...

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!