Video Playback without QE

chris2k

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am quite new here and got anything working now, thanks to this forum.

The only thing that disappoints me, is that video playback is really slow and stuttering. I know that my 855GM is no super gfx card and I dont expect QE to work, but is there any hack to "at least" make videos run smooth?

I have searched everywhere and found an old thread regarding Mplayer + SDL, but the links are down and Google cant find anything.

I have tried any option with Quicktime, Mplayer and VLC...If anybody knows a way to make video playback smooth without QE, its much appreciated.

PS: Does anyone know why flash videos in Safari are running smooth? AFAIK most of them are encoded with H264 and decoding them should? need more ressources than some divx?

Regards,

Chris

Yeah, that is not the problem. It also happens with mpeg2.

Btw, forgot to mention, its JaS 10.4.8 on an old thinkpad (pentium mobile 1.4ghz, 512ddr)

I'm just curious because videos in Safari and Itunes run smooth, so I guess there is a way to make it work with Quicktime/VLC/Mplayer.

-

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

SOLUTION:

I just stumbled over Perian and installed it. For me it works much better than the official DivX codec and even better than the Apple h.264 codec.

DivX/XviD/h.264 movies run now perfectly on my old thinkpad (Intel mobile 1.4ghz) in Quicktime.

Note that this only works with Quicktime. Still no success for VLC and MPlayer.

So for anyone who cant get QE, you might want to try this.

http://perian.org/