Will this help?

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I'm a new user here at insanelymac and I'm trying to build a new low power mac (see hardware for my specific needs). Anyway, I have seen the osx86project wiki and while it does have a lot of good information, I find that its hard to extract any concrete information from it.

As my nickname suggests, I can program php/mySQL pretty well and I was wondering if it would help to design a system to catalog compatibilty and sort it automatically.

For instance, have a page to add a system then have drop downs for motherboard which fills in chipset type, and all hardware. Then by each one you list what you did to get it to work. Then have a table with the summary of each result and you can click on it (or hover) and it will show you the detailed info of how that user got it to work.

I'm just making this up but say you select an P5WDH. Then it creates an entry with ICH7, AC97 audio, blah blah video etc. and you put what worked and what didn't and how you got it to work (if you did).

It wouldn't be so hard after we got some users to help automate the motherboard database and I would think it would help a lot (searchable, sortable, a real well designed machine).

Hell, you can even integrate it into the forums so each entry has a person's username beside it so if you have questions, PM away! (or search their posts)

Thoughts? Can you think of cool features to make it better? (I don't know if the mods/admin will allow it but its worth the discussion)

P.S. while you think of something to respond with, visit my thread to give me suggestions (shameless plug) :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=57822

phpguru

I guess this is not needed. Nevermind the post!

phpguru

Actually dude I would love to see something help organise the wiki to enable people to find what they are looking for more easily. At the moment I hate going to the wiki. By the sounds of it this would certainly change that.

So I'm very much for this. Send Sabr a pm referencing back to this thread and see what he thinks. Best of lick and thank for trying to help.

Yeah, this sounds fantastic. phpguru - are you willing to code something like this? (obviously I can help where needed, but I'm not much of a guru when it comes to coding things ;)). This would be a great project though.

I will be busy until the 30th, so I won't be online much (currently moving house). If you would like to get this in action, we could even think about setting up a testing area, etc...

- Tim. ;)

I would love to see something like this. Let's be blunt the wiki is a mess. For an HCL I don't think a wiki is really the best solution. I have to agree with the solution phpguru is proposing. Sabr, I say give this a shot, I think an HCL such as this would drastically cut down on the repeat posting in the forums of how do I get x piece of hardware to work.

Yeah, this sounds fantastic. phpguru - are you willing to code something like this? (obviously I can help where needed, but I'm not much of a guru when it comes to coding things :P ). This would be a great project though.

I will be busy until the 30th, so I won't be online much (currently moving house). If you would like to get this in action, we could even think about setting up a testing area, etc...

- Tim. ;)

I'm glad that we can work on this. Don't worry about the coding, I'll take care of it. I want to do the design the right way. To do this, I would like to open up the floor and accept suggestions of features to be added so I can bring them into the design process. Otherwise I'll end up creating a working database and creating all these hacks and etc without designing from the beginning. Does that make sense?

Maybe you could make a new sticky thread and have all the mods contribute? Once we decide what we need and what features we want, I can begin the design process. At that point, I'll need some webspace, ssh (if possible) and a mySQL database.

I've been thinking about it and I think it would be best to keep it away from the forums. That is, keep it separate. It will allow users to browse without having to sign up which I think is important. Still, we will have links and etc, to link to the forum as necessary.

What do you think?

phpguru