Easiest Migration Path

samlhall

4 posts in this topic

First time poster. I have been looking for DAYS for a "how to" description. Found lots of related things, nothing specific or wholly devoted to my question.

What I want to do simply is make our new MacBook Pro identical to our Intel iMac. Just a direct transplant.

Ok, really, I know I don't want to step on the MacBook OSX and all as received, and I expect I must set up Boot Camp. But after that, I want simply to move all other Mac apps and files to the Mac side; and move all on the Windows side AS IS into the Boot Camp partition (FAT32 and all).

Burst my bubble if you have to, just please gimme the details.

(We actually did buy Parallels 3.0, but: 1) read some funky things about file types changing and cd's not appearing and the mac and win competing for control of devices; 2) am expecting, or at least willing to wait to see, that Leopard might add Parallels functionality to Boot Camp; 3) must keep things SIMPLE and predictable and not too different from what it already is for my better half who will be relying on this machine. It must just work.)

I'm more ept than inept at these things, so looking forward... And, again, apologies if this has been covered and I haven't been ept enough to find it.

Thanks

-saml

You can use Apple Migration Wizard to Migrate data from one OSX installation to another.

For XP that is not possible. You will need to manually copy your files and set up all the apps again.

You can use Apple Migration Wizard to Migrate data from one OSX installation to another.

For XP that is not possible. You will need to manually copy your files and set up all the apps again.

Yay! you've been a member here and know what you're talkin' about and

D'oh! you've been a member here and know what you're talkin' about.

Good (as usual) on the Apple side, and Win is Win.

Anyone got related tips and tricks besides, be glad to hear them.

Thanks.

- saml

• 5 weeks later...
Yay! you've been a member here and know what you're talkin' about and

D'oh! you've been a member here and know what you're talkin' about.

Good (as usual) on the Apple side, and Win is Win.

Anyone got related tips and tricks besides, be glad to hear them.

Thanks.

- saml

The best way is probably to use a tool like Symantec Ghost to image the drive from source to destination, storing the intermediate ghostfiles on a usb drive or a network location. Use BootCamp to set up the partitions, and then use Ghost to copy the data over.