Nikon D80

t3mur

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I love Photography and really am started to get into it! What would you guys say about the Nikon D80 ? Is it worth the money? Do any of you have it? Please post a random picture taken by it.. And is it too soon to go "Pro"?

Thanks bunch!

If your new to photography, I'd really suggest you go down to your local dedicated camera store (preferably not a Best Buy/Future Shop), and talk to the people there, all the while getting a feel for the cameras.

When it comes down to it, each camera has their own pro's and cons, but nothing beats physically handling and trying out all of your options, especially when working with SLR's. The weight of the camera in your hands (along with added battery packs), whether the body feels "cheap", and the lenses offered all can play a big role in what you decide to go with. For example, while a friend of mine prefered the usuability of the Canons, and even already had an old Canon lens she acquired, she ended up going for a Nikon (it might've been a D80, I'd have to ask her), as she felt it had a lot more weight, and would handle better in the environement she'd be using it in (sports photography, particularly swimming).

Like makaroni said, it's an excellent idea to inform yourself as much as possible. Compare, read reviews, ask staff....it all helps a lot. By no means am I an expert (far from it), but I know from current experience that it's crucial you know exactly what you want to buy. I'm moving from an older Pentax 35mm I got from my Uncle a while ago, when photography was more of just a hobby, to a 30D which I'll be using for a lot of the more serious portfolio work I'd like to do in the coming months. :)

Last thing I'd like to point out, is that image quality is very dependant on the type of lenses you use. You won't see as much difference in quality with varying megapixels with SLR's, as you will with using cheaper glass over better options. So always make sure you go for the best quality within your range, even if it means getting a less-expensive body. Keep in mind, lenses are interchangeable, so you can always use them with a newer body in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd say take the d40x into consideration also. what kind of photography do you intend to do and how big of a print do you want (assuming you want prints in the first place)? which of the d80's features do you find necessary that the d40x doesn't have? also, the d80 doesn't do well with most cheap glass (i say "most" because the 50mm 1.8D, i believe, looks pretty good for only being about $100. no zoom, though i prefer fixed-focal length anyway). so, if you're willing to get the camera, are you prepared to spend money on good lenses?

• 2 weeks later...

I have D80 and undoubtly its the best you can get at that price. If you are thinking of going Pro then D200 is the best choice if you can spend a little bit more.

Also, do some research on the lenses too.. if you are tight on budget then the one lens that you will never regret is the "Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 ".

Good Luck.... :D

I am also going to get a D80. I have been reading reviews, tests and every kind of article about digital photography for months. I am always a bit fanatic, when it comes to buying something new. I must get the best possible option (considering price and quality).

In the first place, I was going to get a Nikon D40X. Then I thought about Canon EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi. Then, by reading and reading, I realized that D80 is just another class of camera. It has maybe twice as functions as the D40X, it is built better, it has a better viewfinder, it has the focus engine in the body (so you wouldn't need to buy AF-S lenses, in order to get auto focus), etc.

D80 is comparable to D200 (D80 is the cheap version of D200), but not to D40X. This is what many photographers have told me.

If you want to get something analogue to the D80 as quality, you have to think about Canon 30D or similar cameras.

Anyway, congratulations on your new hobby! :(

• 4 months later...

I wholeheartedly agree on the need to get intimately informed and conversant with the cameras you're looking at.

www.dpreview.com helped me out when I was looking into a DSLR.

I can also wholeheartedly suggest Pentax DSLRs. I mean, I've been a Pentax user since, well, forever. I just like them more. However, they use a slightly different layout than Nikons, and it's something you have to get used to, but I love them to death.

In any case, though, dpreview.com has in-depth reviews for just about every camera on the market and hi-res example images for a LOT of them.Almost definitely for the majority of the higher end models. So you'll get high and low light imagery, build information, features etc. Good reading. :P

The D80 is a good choice, but there are others like the Canon 30D and used D200. Ive used almost all cameras from the D200 and below and my favorite is the 30D. I use Hi ISO alot and the 30D seems the the best of the non pro bunch. So basically it may depend on your shooting subject and style. I was wishing to have the Nikon D200 spec and functions with the Canon 30D sensor, and they called it the Nikon D300 :-) , Dang why does it have to be so pricey!!

Like Mijka said, Dpreview is the best place to look for camera reviews, the forums are a little bit feisty at times ( but mostly helpful). If you get your skills sharpened then add Fredmiranda.com to your list. If you end up with Nikon D80 then nikonians.org and nikoncafe.com you will frequent.

If you are looking for a used camera then try the fredmiranda.com buy and sell forums, they are the best for used equipment right now. 90% of my gear was bought(and sold) there.

• 1 month later...

It's better to have a lens with alternative price of camera. I mean it's better to spend 500 euro D40 and 500 euro lens then 900 euro D80 and 100 euro lens! Believe me, the photos will be more qualitative! think about it.

Does anybody know D40 has the same long life battery as D80?