OSX 4.8 runs fine on DELL Latutude D520

okonvick

4 posts in this topic

So, it is possible to get OSX running fine on a DELL laptop after all - heres what i used to get it running:

1. I downloaded and installed JaS version of 10.4.8 for Intel/AMD and installed it.
    During the installation, i choosed to install Base System, Intel kexts, GMA900 and 950 drivers and some weird thing called loginwindow.
  2. After the installation i've found the file com.apple.Boot.plist and changed it so it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC</string>
    <key>Boot Graphics</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

This enables both cores and also fixes the problem with graphocal sluttering. You'll need to reboot.
  3. Next, Ive enabled the WiFi card by editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist like this:

1. open terminal and type nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
    2. find "<string>en0</string>" and change the zero to one

3. find <integer>0</integer>" and change the zero to one
    4. press Ctrl+O to sav the changes and Ctrl+X to exit the editing interface.

5. Quit the terminal and go to System Preferences and click Network. A popup should appear and tell something like it found AirPort. If it doesn't, restart and get into the System Preferences again.

[*]Now, let's get the Broadcom Ethernet card working. All we have to do is to download a IONetworking.kext from this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=229681 and to overwrite the /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one we've just downloaded. Then run disk utility and Repair Permissions on the system disk (otherwise it will throw the new kext out saying it wasn't installed properly - you must do this after installing any kext).

Then go to System Preferences, click Network and it should find the Ethernet card.

[*]There's a kext called Power Management Bundle, wich gets the battery indicator working, dunno where it is...

[*]What about a sound?

Get AppleHDA Patcher and the Sigmatel9200.txt. Drag'n'drop the text file into the Patcher icon and it should install the sound card drivers. Restart and enjoy the sound :)

For some reason i don't understand, the laptop speakers wont mute when headphones (or anything else) are connected. Can anyone help me with this?

[*]Touchpad tapping - touchpad works out of the box, but you have to click using the two buttons under it ... to fix this problem (to be enable touchpad tapping and eventually two-finger scrolling), download and install SlideTrack from http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/index.html - after it was installed, it will be available in System Preferences.

Hope I didn't forget something (if i did, post it here) - I'm running OSX on my DELL now for like half a year and it seems to be quite fast ... just, if you would be able to help me with the two problems i describe below, i would be really glad. Thanks!

What works out of the box:

• GFX
  • USB
  • DVD drive
  • Touchpad (no tapping)

What doesn't work:

Here are some things that don't work. I would be really glad if someone would help me with them.

• Sleep - the display wont light up after closing and opening it
  • The laptop speakers wont mute when headphones (or anything else) are connected.

• 5 months later...

Hi...I'm completely new to MAC and stuff, but I'm specialized in Microsoft Windows. This is the 1st time for me to try MAC. I have a notebook Dell Latitdue D520. I have now an image for OSX86 10.4 I burnt it into a DVD and ready to install it..please instruct me how to install it and fix all the mentioned bugs and hot make my Laptop with twp partitions (C & D).

Regards

^_^

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...