InsanelyMac Forum
zfire89

Rhapsody DR2

Advertisement

can some one hook me up with a copy for x86, my email is zfire@insightbb.com i wanna put it on a 366mhz celeron and just mess around with it because it looks kinda interesting.

I tried it a long while ago. It is overrated imho. Almost no applications were made for it outside the core OS utilities, and there is no rosetta like functionality, so you pretty much can't run anything on it.

I tried it a long while ago. It is overrated imho. Almost no applications were made for it outside the core OS utilities, and there is no rosetta like functionality, so you pretty much can't run anything on it.

Its part of NeXT, so I've heard. So you may be able to run some NeXT programs

on it.

Its part of NeXT, so I've heard. So you may be able to run some NeXT programs

on it.

BSD -> NeXT -> Rhapsody -> OS X Server -> OS X

Those are the degrees of seperation...basically.

It's not even technically true BSD; it's the Mach kernel. It goes more like this:

BSD -> Mach -> NeXT -> OpenStep -> Rhapsody -> OSX Server -> OSX

Macintosh -------------> Copland/OS8 ----------> MacOS 9/Classic -----^

It's a little lopsided, and the timing is off, but it's close enough.

It's a little bit more complicated

BSD-->Mach-->NeXTSTEP-->OPENSTEP+NetBSD-->Raphsody DR1+BSD Lite-->Rhapsody DR2-->Mac OS X Server-->Mac OS X

Rhapsody did not use the Darwin kernel. It did not use Carbon or Cocoa for application development. It did not support kexts like the current OS X does... so what you get is what you get. When you install it, whatever is on it is whatever you can run, and whatever drivers are on it (very, VERY, few) are all you get. You think the drivers included with Darwin are sparse, Rhapsody DR2 had support for only a handful of video cards, and a few network cards. It's not even worth the download to try it out. It was cool when I got it in my mailing, 'cause I thought "hmmm, Mac on intel... :P ", and tried it out. But that's as far as it goes, trying it out... it was really buggy for me.

the reason there was no cocoa/carbon was because they were trying out the yellowbook api functions. they're a set of apis that are platform inspecific to make compiling an app on x86 or ppc a breeze

I'm pretty sure NeXTStep and OpenStep implemented Cocoa (at least in an early fashion). Rhapsody was simply an upgrade on OpenStep, so I'm thinking that there was Cocoa in Rhapsody. Maybe not the same Cocoa, but a nice stepping stone for NeXT software developers.

And YellowBook = Cocoa, BTW.

I'm pretty sure NeXTStep and OpenStep implemented Cocoa (at least in an early fashion). Rhapsody was simply an upgrade on OpenStep, so I'm thinking that there was Cocoa in Rhapsody. Maybe not the same Cocoa, but a nice stepping stone for NeXT software developers.

And YellowBook = Cocoa, BTW.

It's Box. YellowBox. Unless your talking about something else. And YellowBox still runs in Windows. It's kinda nice actually.

i have rhapsody dr1 and dr2 both ppc and x86. Runs nicely on my pentium 2.

Is there any way you could get me a copy of DR1 and DR2 for x86? I'd like to try them out and tinker with it. Thanks.

I want Rhapsody DR2 to test it. :poster_oops:

Sherry Haibara

same here, i think ill hit up osbetaarchive and beat some bushes... idk

maxx

Yo... BE WARNED FELLOW DOWNLOADERS. There is a torrent out there that supposedly has the much coveted iso for Rhapsody DR2. DON'T DOWNLOAD IT! It is a fake file. :lol: Ok... now that I have made myself clear... I would like to ask if anyone has the Rhapsdy DR2 x86 CD, please copy it to an iso file. I lost my CD in a bad accident so please come to my aid :D !! Let me know when it is avalible so I can fetch it. Thank you!

Hey you're welcome! I actually am an avid Linux user myself. However the betas for Apple products greatly interest me.

:)

Matt