Dual Core questions

glassJAw

7 posts in this topic

I have OSX86 setup on a 2.53 GHZ Celeron system with 1gb of ram and it runs great.

I'm thinking about setting this system for dual monitors and running windows in parallels in one screen and OSX86 on the other.

I believe dual core doesn't work under OSX86? Do you think I could develope under Visual Basic in Windows XP under Parallels?

Thanks

I have OSX86 setup on a 2.53 GHZ Celeron system with 1gb of ram and it runs great.

I'm thinking about setting this system for dual monitors and running windows in parallels in one screen and OSX86 on the other.

I believe dual core doesn't work under OSX86? Do you think I could develope under Visual Basic in Windows XP under Parallels?

Thanks

Many dual core CPUs work fine under OSX86. I used to use an AMD 3800+ dual core and both were supported. I now use an Intel E6700 C2D and both cores work without a hitch. I don't know anything about Visual Basic under Parallels, but why do you think it wouldn't work?

Dual core CPU's do work - I use the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 with no problems at all. However, if you want to start running a virtual machine alongside, I would recommend you upgrade your RAM too. Sharing 1GB of RAM between two operating systems is going to take quite a chunk of your RAM.

As the others said, dual cores (normally) work just fine. You definitely want to upgrade your RAM though. While dual cores work in OS X, I haven't gotten both to show up in Parallels. Both do show up in VMWare though. In any case, you will have no problems with Visual Basic in either Parallels or VMWare. I was just testing out some of my old programs the other day.