random black restart screen

lithium06

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I recently have had an annoying problem with my hackintosh. my specs are below. i have natit installed with QE and CI supported, deleted agp gart. installed 10.4.8. I have screensaver set to never, in energy saver - sleep set to never, and sleep display set to never, and unchecked put HDDs to sleep when possible. too avoid my hackintosh locking up when it tries to sleep or what not. and i usually just turn off my lcd when i leave so no need for screen saver. I'm not sure the time frame this takes place at but I'll walk away from my computer, come back in like 2 hrs. and it will have the black 'your computer must restart' screen and i have no idea why. and another time when i was playing WoW it just totally froze, keyboard lights went out, and mouse laser went out, just a frozen in game screen...please help!

P4 2.53GHz sse2

MSI 845E-Max

1GB DDR-2100

AGP EVGA 7600GS

Natit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it seems that i have the same problem as you do, but still don't have any solution for this, the random restart screen message occurs some times minutes after lauching mac os 10.4.9, sometimes after several hours, very unstable, are there other people experiencing this wierd problem ? my specs are : MB intel 945gpm, cpu sse3 p4 541+ 3.2 ghz 1 mb cache, RAM : 2 x 1 gb ram 533 mhz, HD : seagate 250 gb sata, GC : asus geforce 7600 gs 256 mb pci-express (qe/ci enabled), all applications work smoothly (photoshop cs3, final cut, wow etc...), i installed jas 10.4.8, upgraded using semthex koolkal 10.4.9 upgrade, i tought the problem was from the graphic card, and i tried many things, like removing screensaver, installing neo natit, diabolik geforce installer with dual screen, enabling/disabling quartz 2d extreme, enabling/disabling beam sync, but the problem remains, i'm wondering if mac os in general is stable enough on a hackintosh to hold on more than 48 hours with no restart screen, or do we have to change the Mobo with intel 865 chipset like asus P5B ?, if anybody could help us or at least share with us some toughts about this problem, cause i tried installing mac os on another computer with the same specs mentioned above and it has the same problems, i can't find any panic.log, nothing than can help resolve the issue...

Thanks in advance

look at your cpu temp, other stuff temp (ram temp, video temp), and if its high- do something. The second thing, download the latest kernel for 10.4.9 or upgrade to 10.4.10 and urent going to see these nasty freezing and messages to restart ur comp.

cpu and other stuff temp is normal, the freezing screen occured on 10.4.9, i upgraded to 10.4.10, same thing happens, seems not an os version problem, anything else that could do it ? tested 2 different graphic cards asus ati x1600 pro + geforce7600gs, always same result, switched slots of ram, same problem remains, i'm thinking about the motherboard, maybe it is incompatible...

• 2 weeks later...

I now have an intel core 2 duo 4400, msi p6n-sli, and pci-e evga 7950(256mb) and i have the same issues with this system. but only when i play games. My system is stable enough to leave on for ichat, email, web browsing, itunes. i have all the power options set to never and same with screen saver. i always just turn off my monitor when i leave. from another post i found that a program called 'jiggler' helps from finding a black restart screen when i return. maybe try that dmy. i guess i'll still have to boot windows to play wow.

thanks for your help lithium06, but the problem i'm facing is beyond leaving the computer idle, the restart screen pops up in the middle of any app, sometimes just reading text or watching a movie, sometimes if i leave it idle, it is totally random, i just wish if there is an application that can give you a report on what exactly did happen when the message appeared. i'm totally clueless and don't know if it's only a minority that is suffering this problem or that the majority doesn't use a hackintosh more than 20 hours without rebooting, is it a software related problem or hardware ?, i still don't know :(

i have the same problem, almost... I get it after darwin screen and the grey apple. "Please hold the powerbutton to restart bla bla bla."

What gives? why am i stopped from starting? tried -x, -s, -v and nothing shows any problem.

If it was a hardware issue i should get a warning shouldn't i??

hi tommyz, try to do a clean install using mac jas dvd 10.4.8, tick only cpu intel if you have intel cpu or amd if you have that instead, if you can't boot to mac and receive the same message then you have something incompatible in your hardware, i have a friend who had an old motherboard and tried mac on it, he had the reboot screen at loading even after doing a clean install, he took his harddrive to another pc with more recent motherboard and the mac os worked

• 2 months later...
so i just installed uphuck 1.4i r3 w/ specs in sig and i havent had it lock up on me yet. played wow for 1+ hr, played with iLife08. so maybe jas has issue with my motherboard is my guess. the nforce chip. g/l

Lithium please give an update in a few days time if using uphuck's version solved the problem.

build,

i've been running uphuck 1.4i with no problems still, about this mac doesnt crash, i can play call of duty and wow without freezing, and i dont even have to use 'jiggler'. i havent tried sleep and i have screen saver set to never, and all power management set to never b/c i have a desktop and it's not needed. 120s w/ xbench.

just downloaded koolkal's .10 update so may try that soon.