"Run preflight script for Essentials" failed

netfox

5 posts in this topic

I have JAS 10.4.8.

When I boot, and run the install image; I get, after a succesfull DVD check, the following error during installation (from the installer log):

"Install Failed: The following install step failed: run preflight script for Essentials".

What could be the problem? And solution...? :hysterical:

More from the installer log:

"CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(); plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:\n

/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/version.plist\n

The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.\n"

It's not exactly the same as a problem I ran into once, but it looks kind of similar. The problem for me ended up being that the disk had the wrong partition type. I needed to change it to MBR, and then it worked.

• 5 months later...

netfox, I think sarahbau means the hard drive. I am also getting this same error on a Dell Latitude D600 while trying JaS OS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSe2 SSe3.

I tried installing this many times - all times except one, I got the same error message that you got "run preflight script for Essentials failed". The one other time, I got the error "Partition type not MBR".

The Disk Utility that comes with the disk I am trying to install is not capable of creating MBR partition schemes. So I installed Linux on the hard drive, partitioned the drive into two - one as ext3 and the other as FAT32, then tried installing OSX86. This time I was able to erase the partitions to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

But I am still getting the "The following install step failed: run preflight script for Essentials" error. Does anyone know a fix?