Problem with Time Machine

tractica

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

when i click for the first time on Time Machine, the app asks me to co configure it. Then a new windows appears which asks me to choose which harddrive to backup files on and the files i do not want to be backuped. The problem is that i can't choose my external Hard Drive ( Western My Book 250 go ) because it doesn't appear on the hardrives list, only my Macintosh HD can be selected ( the one on which Leopard is installed ! )

Does anyone know know a solution about this problem ?

i know that's a beta, but really want to try Time Machine :)

Hi,

when i click for the first time on Time Machine, the app asks me to co configure it. Then a new windows appears which asks me to choose which harddrive to backup files on and the files i do not want to be backuped. The problem is that i can't choose my external Hard Drive ( Western My Book 250 go ) because it doesn't appear on the hardrives list, only my Macintosh HD can be selected ( the one on which Leopard is installed ! )

Does anyone know know a solution about this problem ?

i know that's a beta, but really want to try Time Machine :)

I'm guessing here, haven't got Leopard and have no technical knowledge about how Time Machine works, but having said that, how is the drive formatted? Does it have to be HFS+ for time machine to use it?

i think you're right about the hfs+ thing. I've just checked my external hard drive format, it is MS Dos ( FAT32 ). Having said that, is there a way to make my external hard drive be HFS+ without loosing all the data i have on it ?

i think you're right about the hfs+ thing. I've just checked my external hard drive format, it is MS Dos ( FAT32 ). Having said that, is there a way to make my external hard drive be HFS+ without loosing all the data i have on it ?

NO. ;-(

no. to format it to a different filesystem, you have to erase the drive.