Animations in Leopard

SeanM

12 posts in this topic

Thought it would be cool to list all of the areas that are now animated. It will give us a good idea of how third party developers might take advantage of Core Animation in their apps.

Animations:

- Cover Flow in Finder

- Stacks folder

- Changing the icon sizes in open/save dialogs (icon view)

- Breadcrumbs in Finder

- Opening and closing Quick Look

- Editing an event in iCal

Opening files in Preview and bringing up the info dialog also seem to have a very subtle animation.

Anything else I missed?

what exactly are

"- Changing the icon sizes in open/save dialogs (icon view)

- Breadcrumbs in Finder"

Here are some screenshots to show what I was talking about.

Right here, when you do this (changing icon size) say from 16x16 to 128x128, the icons animate (growing and shrinking smoothly) instead of just changing.

picture2b1970.png

As for breadcrumbs, do a search in the Finder. You will see the path below. If the folder path is too long, and you mouse over them, it animates...

picture1edf7b.png

ah, couldnt recreate the finder breadcrumbs oh well.

where i think the animation is going to really shine is the new version of iphoto (and perhaps ilife suite) which has got to come out in october cuz i mean there were demos showing the cool stuff that can be done when moving stuff around with core animation, i bet there will still be plent of work done to the finder as well

the new frontrow which i know is like the appletv has some slick animations that are fast as hell with artwork and photos

i found a sweet one actually

when you use the help menu's spotlight thing, atleast in safari, if you are searching for a menu item, for example private browsing, it shows where it is on the menu with this floating somewhat arrow thing, this attachment doesn't really do it justice because it's moving...

post-24123-1182667054_thumb.png

when you use the help menu's spotlight thing, atleast in safari, if you are searching for a menu item, for example private browsing, it shows where it is on the menu with this floating somewhat arrow thing, this attachment doesn't really do it justice because it's moving...

It's been there for a while, nice touch.

As for breadcrumbs, do a search in the Finder. You will see the path below. If the folder path is too long, and you mouse over them, it animates...

picture1edf7b.png

I tried this, but the finder crashes here... on my g4 mini (1.5Ghz, 1GB ram)

Yeah, i just saw this too searching Flash help files - crazy stuff !

Rotating a file (tested with image) in preview (can be done via shortcuts Cmd+R for rotating right, and Cmd+L for rotating left) is followed by an animation. I think core animation is going to be heavily used in Leopard. Yummy :)

P.S. (try holding a key combination for a smooth helicopter effect :( )