n00b question re: backup / install

3 posts in this topic

I am just prepping to install Leo as my main OS and I have tons of programs installed currently working fine.

I am a bit of a mac n00b (used to be a pc fan before the intel switchover). So I want to backup all my stuff to an external hard drive, wipe clean, install leo.

Whats the best way to backup already installed programs on mac? Can i just drag the whole program onto my external hard drive inside tiger and then drag it back out in leopard and all should work? or is it like in windows where the only way to have a program working is to have a clean install?

Is there any other way of backing up existing programs that you dont have the install files for?

For example world of warcraft. I dont want to have to delete it, and then have to torrent download it again and reinstall.

Please help. Thanks.

Yeah, use iBackup. But I've had to reinstall Leo because I tried to bring over backups from 10.4. Maybe you'll have better luck, but don't get your hopes up too much.

About WoW, from your account page there's a link to download TBC (if you have it) and you can send yourself a guest invitation to get a link to download the original WoW client too. Or you can just reinstall from your CD/DVDs that came with the game?